any float fishing reel recommendations ?

grayling4me

That ones a bit like the ABUMATIC range in that the line comes through a hole in the centre of the cowl.

Shown in the Link below - just scroll down it a bit.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiTju2A-67SAhUlBcAKHQBrDb4QFggsMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.realsreels.com%2Fhistory%2F&usg=AFQjCNFouIFM-jQsRyp0XTCwLzqlawitoA&sig2=zmx6HjBfCopXeJw7QqgUig

Yes same concept i have a couple of abumatics in the loft but the roddy is better on the top of the rod and the handle rotates the correct way round on the left side for us uk anglers ,you can also get the same type with triggers on the front so i presume they are used below the rod but i dont know how the handle rotates it maybe backwards ?

Like the roddy the abumatics use crank handled rods and are used ontop of the rod rather than underneath like the 500's

You ofcourse can use them uk fashion but they will probably wind on the right and backwards and you will have to trigger it with your left hand to cast ,on a crank handled rod i can see the appeal the rod becomes an extention of your arm but the only use i can see is with lures or heavy floats

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Steve,

I'm at a bit of a loss? See your picture. We simply catch the line coming from the center hole rather the having it flop past you finger every rotation. In both cases I believe it is the angler who controls the speed with which line plays into the water. The only "difference" is where and when your hand is physically in contact with the line isn't it?

Just a wild guess as I really don't know about the newer models, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't use a dual drag setting.

It's for subtle control of the speed that the line exits the spool - hold, release, just put a little friction on it, as required. I think it would be harder to do where the line is coming out of that hole. And being able to stop the line dead when you strike, then keep the line trapped while you turn the handle and engage the pick-up pin - I can't see that you could actually do that effectively by trapping it against the opening, the angle of the line is different. Definitely couldn't use a drag setting, we're talking about small floats here (and even if you could, it would twist the line up a treat).
  • Like 1

well that started a lively discussion. thank you for all your replies - lots to think about ! i do have a centre pin which i completely overlooked (age thing !) - i will give it a go. only used it once or twice and caught 3 brownies the first time i used it, second time it was windy and i got in a bit of a mess !

Chesters1,

Martin50oseriesMountedmed.jpg

I know from previous posts you are among the resident experts on your "abu 501". I'm sure you also know we didn't have a "501" in this country. 500 series 501, 503/520 (USA) , 505, 506, 506M, 507, and 508. About the time Pure Fishing and Abu co-mingled I think I had a "6XX or two - you may remember better than I do.

Now you can bang on about the superiourity of your 501 all you wish. In this country Abu and their half encapsulated reel designs lost out to other versions of the closed face reel for a number of reasons. The primary reason was functionality, reliability and quality.

I looked, I have given away or pitched all my 1970's American versions I guess. At least I can't find an example laying about.

Phone

Edited by Phone

Bronze i think but the oscillation dooda was nylon

I have abu gear but my 'expertise' if its worth mentioning is intrepid ,a few were rebadged 'HI' in America compared to abu they were crude dinosaurs

Ps the last reels bar two baitrunners for USE (rather than collect)i bought new was the 1970's (i think the 1044 was a little later?) They all still work as new ,ok bar 3! wait i had an awful abu gold max which i sold after it wore out the bands so bar 4 all my reels and definately all my freshwater rods bar 2 carp rods and a dire silstar flout rod date from then as well they also function as new

I rarely buy stuff when old stuff still works lol most are pre abu garcia never mind your versions lol

Looking here i see history being changed ,how could the first abu garcia reel appear in 1941 the company as abu garcia didnt occur until the 80's ?

http://www.abugarcia.com/AbuGarcia-our-history.html

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1,

Yes - my apologizes - intrepid - honest mistake - I don't believe we have/had intrepid over here either (?)

Phone

Yes some were issued under the HI lable

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/vintage-intrepid-hi-1924-spin-reel/182090547077/

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-intrepid-spinning-reel-prince-133380774

http://m.ebay.com/itm/152182610367?_mwBanner=1

Edited by chesters1

In my experience, ALL the ABU 500's have one major flaw (I had the 503 as a Lad & still have a 501) - Line gets round the back of the spool. EVEN with, but admittedly less so the chenille rimmed spools.

The need to cut the line back to the good stuff (could be 20 - 30 odd yards) then compromises casting when this happens being below the optimum level to the lip.

The "Crack 400" was very popular in the 80's though never tried one myself.

By all accounts it need a few outings to "Run it in" from new re the clutch.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=crack+400+reel&rlz=1C1CHWA_enGB610GB610&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=638&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw25-E1bbSAhXFzRQKHZ5UBxYQsAQIIQ

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

In my experience, ALL the ABU 500's have one major flaw (I had the 503 as a Lad & still have a 501) - Line gets round the back of the spool. EVEN with, but admittedly less so the chenille rimmed spools.

The need to cut the line back to the good stuff (could be 20 - 30 odd yards) then compromises casting when this happens being below the optimum level to the lip.

The "Crack 400" was very popular in the 80's though never tried one myself.

By all accounts it need a few outings to "Run it in" from new re the clutch.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=crack+400+reel&rlz=1C1CHWA_enGB610GB610&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=638&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw25-E1bbSAhXFzRQKHZ5UBxYQsAQIIQ

There is a destinctive 'feel' you get when the line goes behind the spool long term users aquire before it gets to bad .

The crack was ok but contains more plastic parts inside my one has long retired .k p morrit designed a closed face reel but it never got to production the tolerances needed were more than 'near enough' lol