Angling aids?

gozzer

Marker braid.

Once on a line try to get it off! Slips and is expensive, a small rubber band or bit of pole elastic does a much better job.

Looks the part alongside all the other dispensers in the Fox tackle box though!

God that takes me back i remember marco? Brought out coloured mono ,i think it was a different colour every ten feet or yards so you could measure how far you casted ,trouble is ofcourse you chopped a bit off almost every trip so it was pointless.

There was ofcourse good stuff i remember many years roving the medway with a efgeeco pakaseat ,it was fairly small so combined with my efgeeco carryall (a rod bag with lots of pockets ) you could go where a trolley would tip over and drag you in.

The packaseats only disadvantage was it became sledge like on slopes but tied to the brolly pole it was fine

Many many years after i bought it i found the plastic spacers that held the frame together broke but a letter to efgeeco and a new set appeared gratis by return post

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

Yes, line - - There was one that changed color when wet. You were suppose to cast - reel and measure by counting revolutions of the reel.

Mono with cotton winding that splayed to look like plant roots. (no experience - and I just think it was a mono/cotton combo)

Phone

• 4 weeks later...

One “too-clever-for-its-own-good” invention was the hollow glass “ ringless” rod. No outside rings – the line was threaded through a small hole in front of the reel, then passed (flip knows how) up the rod to come out of the agatine-lined tip. Greatest thing since sliced bread said the angling comics of the day.

Around 1995 to 2005 we used to spend a fortnight each year near Oban, and had a few trips for skate, with Ronnie Campbell in Iona Jayne or later in Lorna Dawn (Davy Holt a previous AN member, knows Ronnie well.)

On one of these trips a wannabe skate catcher turned up with a magic ring-less rod. I shook my head in disbelief, Derby Dave shook his head, Ronnie tried to tell this goof the rod was not man enough for skate. No, he was a knowall goof, and claimed he knew what he was doing, had caught cod the size of porbeagles, congers the size of sea serpents, won competitions, etc etc.

So out we went, down went the baits in 600 ft of waterand - including the ringless wonder, and sure enough this knowall hooked a big skate. By big I mean well into three figures – we have all had ‘em out in the Firth of Lorne. The ringless bent to a quarter circle, then to a half circle and then......,.CRAAACKK!! It busted half-way down. The jagged broken butt cut through the mono, and skate, end tackle and 600 ft of 50 lb line (yes, it IS that deep) parted company with the hapless angler.

I think that was the first and last ringless rod Ronnie allowed on his boat – the implications for skate conservation are pretty obvious. The craze for ringless rods didn’t last long

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

You used a bit of wire to pull the line through ,i had one briefly until pollen blocked up the tip hole every time you reeled in ,i used an abu baitcaster with it because the angle to the hole was critical and a ordinary reel stood a mite further out and ofcourse the line comes off in loops rather than straight.

Another thing was the self striking rod rest ,saw only one and was fairly impressed until it misfired in wind.i had forgotten about it until earlier in the thread but now i remember the exact swim it was chucked into ,i spotted it going past on the train ,in one evening he went from chuffed to infuriated

There was also crap used before thought was injected ,most of a certain age will remember sun loungers pressed into use for fishing ,chap i met angling almost drowned at horton kirby when he was literally catapulted into the lake whilst inside his sleeping bag ,we managed to drag him out but then there were few that fished at night so lucky it was friday night. Manyy attempts were made to make them better but only crude frail legs could be made so you poked your tackle boc under it and hoped

One thing to my name though is probably i had the first decent heron bite indicators ,boy up the road i fished with dad was in the gpo and i got a pair of very new bleeptone buzzers to replace the dire heron ones

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson