Day Ticket Recomendation

76jerry

Hi

I am looking for a day ticket or free stretch of river fishing anywhere between Reading and Oxford there will probably be three of us ideal water would hold plenty of Chub and Roach and not to difficult to fish as we are not very good at coarse fishing we would prefer to float fish .

Very little free or DT water on the Kennet - and none of it particularly easy.

Barton Court is the most obvious choice - see:

http://www.riverkennet.co.uk/coarse_fishing.html

Lots of water so you have to find the fish but chub, roach, perch and grayling are realistic targets as are quality dace. Aldermaston Mill is the only other DT of note - but that's a pale shadow of what it used to be.

Newbury has free fishing through the town centre - some very big chub - but you'll be plagued by wildfowl (they get fed by the locals - but the chub also enjoy a bonanza). Also some free fishing on the Lambourn in Newbury - if you fancy catching a grayling or two...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Thames at Oxford is day ticket with plenty of good fish. Top Tackle have advice and day tickets - http://top-tackle.co.uk/

As someone who used to fish the Kennet, but has moved to near the Thames, I would say the Kennet is generally easier to fish because it is shallower and not so wide. Also, being chalk stream, it is steady and doesn't oscillate between 'low and clear' and 'up and coloured' in the way the Thames does. But, as Chris says, most of it is controlled by angling clubs that don't give day tickets.

Quite honestly, with both rivers I don't know of anywhere you could go and get a nice easy bag of chub and roach, particularly at this time of year. Both need a bit of experience and trial and error. The great advantage of Barton Court is that it's an idyllic place to go to, with 'carriers' about 3 foot deep. And if nothing else you'll catch some trout!

john clarke