Tench Fisheries In The North West

AddictedToScopex

I guess if you are used to a fish-a-chuck from a stock pond, having to actually work for a fish is a bit of a disappointment.

I know I've said it before, (and been told I'm talking rubbish, and living in the past), but what these places are selling is a 'catching experience', as simple as that.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Back in the 70's and 80's, there was so much bait going into the Severn, Warwickshire Avon and many other rivers that they maintained stock levels substantially in excess of anything that might be considered natural. Back then, anyone fishing mid week or on a quiet day could reasonably expect a bite a chuck!

Then, as now, the waters were controlled by clubs and associations that were run as a business and anglers Were basically punters. The magical draw now is carp in stillwaters and back then, it was barbel that were stocked (in an outragious act of environmental vandalism) into the Severn system in the 1950's.

Things ain't so different now - but stillwater can be rehabilitated.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I would love to see the tide change from carp but then I think it would only turn to overstocking something else etc. I love natural waters but there are so few around now. I think that is why I fish the rivers far more than still waters. Wyeknot I will look at the tench fishers as that could be a good place for info too.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Back in the 70's and 80's, there was so much bait going into the Severn, Warwickshire Avon and many other rivers that they maintained stock levels substantially in excess of anything that might be considered natural. Back then, anyone fishing mid week or on a quiet day could reasonably expect a bite a chuck!

Then, as now, the waters were controlled by clubs and associations that were run as a business and anglers Were basically punters. The magical draw now is carp in stillwaters and back then, it was barbel that were stocked (in an outragious act of environmental vandalism) into the Severn system in the 1950's.

Things ain't so different now - but stillwater can be rehabilitated.

I believe it was the Angling Times that officially stocked the first 100 barbel, and it grew from there. I remember that certain swims were famous for having a large resident stock of fish, due to the introduction of bait. I also remember the various bait bans that were introduced to try and rectify the problem, and that is the difference, it was seen as a problem and there was much opposition to the stocking. That covered certain sections of some rivers. We didn't have that problem up here, in fact during the 70s, it was the opposite on some sections of the Yorks Ouse in particular, where you fished for bites, and fish were a bonus.

I wouldn't call the Associations businesses, they were just an amalgamation of smaller clubs, who pooled their finances to make miles of bank space available to the ordinary angler, at a reasonable cost. I don't recall any of them grossly overstocking waters in order to make it easier to catch.

The barbel that were stocked thrived, partly because of the bait going in, but also because the river suited them, however the stock levels did adjust over time. (I have wondered what the roach fishing would be like now, if barbel hadn't been introduced). Can you see that happening to the rivers that have been continuously stocked with various mongrel carp, as well as catfish, and other 'exotic' species, from flooding, stocking canals, and idiot anglers? Stillwater can be rehabilitated, but the rivers can't, not without a continuous purge on 'alien species', but even that would be doubtful. When the EA name invasive species, that must not be stocked into, or returned to a river, most anglers ignore it. After all it's a fish innit, and you can't kill a fish. Otters, cormorants, and seals yes, a fish, no!

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Carp have been present in Britain for considerably longer than bream have been present in Ireland.

Its not the nasty alien fish that are a problem, its the destruction of the ecosystem through high density stocking.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Reckon the next British Record Perch will come from a Puddle Pig Hole!!, rather than from a river, where they are fitter & more built for the kill.

Maybe the goalposts need moving - River/Canal caught & Still water caught records??

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Carp have been present in Britain for considerably longer than bream have been present in Ireland.

Its not the nasty alien fish that are a problem, its the destruction of the ecosystem through high density stocking.

That sounds like it should be ok to let the lions out of the zoo because they've been here a bit as well.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I've said it often enough Ken, it's the gross over stocking, the limited variety of species, and the location of these so called fisheries, that are the main problem. I would feel the same if it were bream, or roach, it just happens to be carp because they are hardy, and plentiful, and thus more profitable. The high density stocking, and the over spill into rivers in particular, make them an alien species to that water. In my near 60 years, and about the same from my late father and uncles, the reported cases of carp, catfish, ide, and several other 'popular' species, coming from the Yorkshire rivers, was almost zero. Over the last 15/20 yrs I have personally had carp, from 3 rivers and read reports of captures from all the major tributaries of the Yorks Ouse. There have also been several reports of catfish being caught in the Yorks Ouse, its the Trent next. These are alien fish, alien to these waters. This is not taking into account the number of good stillwaters that have been ruined by mass stocking.

Blaming the stocking doesn't change the fact that carp, etc, are the end result and therefore the problem. If this stupid obsession, with putting large numbers of 'alien' species into most waters ended today, the damage already done to the ecosystem, couldn't be reversed.

John.

Yes, I've caught ide from a stillwater right next to a river.

Something fast was swirling just subsurvace every time I sprayed maggots and I couldn't figure out what it was. A hange of rig and five minutes later, I had one in the net.

Took a minute or so to work out what it was (I dare say most are thought to be chub x roach hybrids) but it struck me as a spectacularly stupid stocking.

There are plenty of escapee carp in the Severn but I've never heard anything to indicate that they are breeding.

Catfish are inevitable. There is a near 100lb moggie swimming around in the lower Severn and if her pheromones do their thing and a male finds her in the early summer, she'll drop a couple of million eggs.

Perhaps the biggest worry should be bighead and silver carp. There has already been at least one fishery Rotanoned because it was found to contain these fish.

Alright ATS,

I can recommend a cracking little Tarn but you'll have to cross the Border to Cumbria to get to it.

It's called Skelsmergh Tarn near Kendal.

A club called Kendal and district angling club have it.

You can get day tickets but if you can make it there a good few times, it'd be worth buying the £40 annual permit.

They also have another couple of waters that contain Tench, the newly acquired Atkinsons Tarn and a Stretch of canal.

Getting back to Skelsmergh.

This is a stunning natural tarn set in a SSSI, it's circular in shape and quite deep.

It holds Tench and Perch, both of which grow to good sizes,

I've been told the Tench go over 10lb and I've had them myself to over 8lb.

It fishes best in May and June when the the thick lillies which surround the tarn start emerging.

The tarn has a real Mr. Crabtree feel about it, especially when you see the tip of your float sat amongst the most ridiculous amount of fizzing you are ever likely to see. Don't be fooled by these bubbles though, they're not a guarantee you will get a bite. If you are lucky enough to hook one, you've then got to land it. These fish give a brutal fight and often stitch you up in the lillies, I even had my Mk IV Drennan Tench Float rod snapped by one of these fish

The best day I had was six fish landed, three lost and countless missed bites, that was an exceptional day though.

The tarn is best fished from first light in warm, muggy, dull, damp conditions. I rarely fish past 9am as the bites become so few and far between you really have to keep your concentration up to hit them. I guess from that time you could target the Perch with worm if you want a full day's fishing, you'll still have the chance of hooking a tinca that way too.

Setting your float to the correct depth is also a dark art, it's very silty with lots of water cabbagy type weeds on the bottom, your float can be sat amongst a jaccuzzi of bubbles and not move, then it can slide under once the bubbles have gone and catch you out unawares. Get it right though and the rewards are great, the fish are a beautiful deep dark green and in great condition.

Can't say any more than that really.

P6261148_edited20-20Copy_zpsng7k3biu.jpg

P5250079_edited_zps5uhumemb.jpg

Edited by wellyphant
  • Like 2