Harrison 15' Gti turbo stepped up model

JV44

. I paid only £70 at the shop,

Blimey, I paid £5 for an aluminium chair about 15 years ago - use nothing else by still waters - it has the advantage of not being too low and having armrests that an eighty plus can use to lever himself up, For rivers I use my unhooking mat Sit on one side and turn it over to put fish and wet net on tother side. Low cost, low weight.

• Like 3

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

When I met a dedicated rod builder sorting out several greenheart rods at various stages of completion

Phone Have you ever come across rods made of "snakewood" ?

Negley Farson, in his book "Going Fishing" (well worth reading BTW) refers to a "handsome snakewood rod, with German silver mountings and agate rings"

Now I know that snakewood is a tropical hardwood from Surinam/Guyana, and once had a billiard cue of that material, but have never come across it as a rod material. What have I missed ? Phone ? Anyone ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond,

Not here my friend. But I Googled

"""""Snakewood is an incredibly beautiful wood which originates mostly in Suriname, South America. The specific gravity is around 1.2, making it one of the worlds hardest woods. The part sold as snakewood is really the heartwood of the larger tree. This wood is usually felled with axes and carried on the backs of hard working natives over streams and through snake infested jungle areas. Each tree felled is monitored, and the government has developed a strict permit process to control harvesting. Much of the wood has inferior or no figure, but the small amount that has attractive figure is exported. We sell only figured pieces that have high density of figure unless specifically marked otherwise. All snakewood has at least minute hairline cracks. We take the extra step of soaking some pieces in cyanoacrylate to minimize or eliminate any cracking. Fortunately, if cracks do occur, they can be hidden completely if caught early. We do not recommend attempting to dry snakewood, as this almost always leads to cracking. Being dense, the water content is already very low. To be successful, always have superglue and hardener on hand, cover the piece with plastic completely when not working on it, and seal it completely with a finish that does not allow moisture transmission. Needless to say, the wood should never be allowed to get overly heated or left in direct sunlight.

The Janka scale is used to determine the relative hardness of particular domestic or exotic wood species. The Janka test measures the amount of force required to embed a 0.444" steel ball into the wood to half of its diameter. Woods with a higher rating are harder than woods with a lower rating.

The scale used in the table is pounds-force.

Janka Specie Name 350 Buckeye Burl 380 Aspen 410 Basswood 470 Guanacaste (Parota) 490 Butternut 540 American Chestnut 540 Poplar 540 Mappa Burl 600 Spanish Cedar 800 Genuine Mahogany 840 Leopardwood 850 Quilted Western Maple 850 Western Maple Burl 850 Curly Western Maple 850 Black Ash 891 Lacewood 930 Anigre 950 Cherry 950 Tornillo 950 Curly Maple (Red Leaf) 950 Cherry Burl 950 Maple (Red Leaf) 950 Curly Cherry 960 Peruvian Walnut 1010 Walnut 1020 Holly 1055 Curly Pyinma 1100 African Mahogany 1100 Figured Mango 1160 Thuya Burl 1170 Koa 1200 Redheart 1200 Masur Birch 1210 Nicaraguan Rosewood 1220 Red Oak 1220 Curly Oak 1220 Quarter Sawn Red Oak 1220 Spalted Oak 1260 Birch 1260 Amboyna Burl 1260 Curly Narra 1260 Flame Birch 1260 Birch Burl 1260 Narra 1294 Figured Makore 1294 Makore 1320 White Ash 1320 Curly White Ash 1320 Swamp Ash 1330 Shedua 1335 Quarter Sawn White Oak 1335 White Oak 1350 Ebiara 1360 English Brown Oak 1400 Mayan Walnut 1400 Eucalyptus 1439 Quilted Sapele 1450 Birdseye Maple 1450 Hard Maple 1450 Curly Maple (Hard Maple) 1450 Quarter Sawn Maple 1450 Bark Pocket Maple 1450 Hard Maple Burl 1450 Spalted Maple 1450 Rift Sawn Hard Maple 1460 Madrone Burl 1500 Sapele 1520 Canarywood 1548 Honey Locust 1560 Afrormosia 1712 Merbau 1780 Black & White Ebony 1810 Afzelia Burl 1820 Hickory 1830 Zebrawood 1830 Figured Zebrawood 1860 Jarrah Burl 1878 Yellowheart 1900 Red Palm 1930 Wenge 1960 Bolivian Rosewood 1970 Padauk 1970 Ziricote 2010 Bocote 2020 Black Palm 2140 Sucupira 2160 Goncalo Alves 2200 Chechen 2200 Honduras Rosewood 2200 Honduras Rosewood Burl 2250 Chakte Viga 2318 Spalted Tamarind 2400 Osage Orange (Argentine) 2400 Santos Mahogany 2410 Figured Bubinga 2410 Quilted Bubinga 2410 Bubinga 2430 Cochen Rosewood 2430 Indian Ebony 2440 E. Indian Rosewood 2480 Tamboti 2490 Red Mallee Burl 2490 Brown Mallee Burl 2500 Tulipwood 2520 Purpleheart 2520 Figured Purpleheart 2532 Marblewood 2620 Amazon Rosewood 2690 Jatoba 2690 Olivewood 2700 Granadillo 2760 Osage Orange (USA) 2900 Bloodwood 2920 Yellow Box Burl 2960 Cocobolo 3000 Mun Ebony 3080 Gaboon Ebony 3220 Macassar Ebony 3230 Pink Ivory 3330 Cumaru 3340 Kingwood 3340 Camatillo 3370 Grey Box Burl 3390 Mopani 3590 Brown Ebony 3660 Katalox 3660 Figured Katalox 3670 African Blackwood 3690 Brazilian Ebony 3710 Lignum Vitae (Argentine) 3730 Red Coolibah Burl 3800 Snakewood 4380

Lignum Vitae (Genuine)

All,

On Greenwood - - Google has me confused. I believe Lignum Vitae (Genuine) and Lignum Vitae (Argentine) are different plants. I have NO CLUE which the fellow I was visiting with was using.

Exit Stage Left

Phone

• 1 month later...

All done and rods returned ready for the new season, usual excellent standard of workmanship.

The broken rod had a new tip section, all whippings re-done to make sure of a colour match (16 rings and 3 spigot joints), 8 new tip rings to replace the fly rings and replacement of an unmatched butt ring. The other rod just had the 8 fly rings replaced, Bob still had the correct colour thread for that one. £85 total including postage, very pleased with that.

Looking back the breakage gave me the opportunity to have the fly rings replaced on both rods, I'd been meaning to have it done for a while but never quite got around to it.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

All,

On Greenwood - - Google has me confused. I believe Lignum Vitae (Genuine) and Lignum Vitae (Argentine) are different plants. I have NO CLUE which the fellow I was visiting with was using.

Exit Stage Left

Phone

This wood (Lignum Vitae) is used for making FLAT and CROWN GREEN Bowling balls, but on the Angling side is also the element of the bottom half of some stick floats.

A bit like a self cocking float but not quite - being of denser material requires less shot.

It's about the Hardest - Densest woods around !!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

This wood (Lignum Vitae) is used for making FLAT and CROWN GREEN Bowling balls, but on the Angling side is also the element of the bottom half of some stick floats.

A bit like a self cocking float but not quite - being of denser material requires less shot.

It's about the Hardest - Densest woods around !!!

I thought it sank so the corresponding tops of floats would have to be very floaty to float

Make a so so sinking plug though with good tooth mark resistance

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I thought it sank so the corresponding tops of floats would have to be very floaty to float

Make a so so sinking plug though with good tooth mark resistance

Yep' the floats are & have been made LV bottom half & Balsa top half for many years.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Yep' the floats are & have been made LV bottom half & Balsa top half for many years.

What a waste of wood when theres perfectly good plastic about!

My plan for a solid lv pike gazette float just went out the window

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson