changing email address with Thunderbird, Outlook etc

Thanks to those who have already helped me activate my gmail account.

My wife and I have been notified by EE that they will no longer support our FSMail and Freeserve email addresses (previously run by Orange) after end of May, so we need to get new email addresses from someone else.

The complication for me is that I have Thunderbird, so my emails are transferred onto my own hard disk (I think!). This was set up for me by someone else some time ago. Is it easy to switch so that Thunderbird will take the emails from my Gmail account instead of Orange? I suppose the ideal would be if Thunderbird could take them from Gmail AND Orange cos then it would cover the crossover. Does anyone know if that's possible?

The related issue for my wife is this. She doesn't use Thunderbird or anything, and has 1,000 emails stored by Orange on the web she doesn't want to lose. Am I right that the easiest way would be to install Thunderbird, Windows Mail or something, as then all the emails in her inbox would get transferred to the Thunderbird inbox, when she could put them into folders where they would be stored on her hard disk? Or is there a better way?

Thanks

John

john clarke

Windows live,

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

You can setup multiple accounts on thunderbird and outlook just be extra careful to find the option that says something similar to "save a copy on my computer" in the settings.

They show up as seperate inboxes so you can have both gmail and orange. Once orange stop the emails the email client will keep trying to get the emails. You can then instruct the client not o keep trying and leave the inbox there as an archive of sorts and use the gmail one :thumbs:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy, that's good news that I can have multiple accounts. But I can't even find 'settings'. If you could tell me how I get to that, then I think you're saying I should click 'save a copy on my computer' and presumably I then key in the email addresses I want it to include?

You can setup multiple accounts on thunderbird and outlook just be extra careful to find the option that says something similar to "save a copy on my computer" in the settings.

They show up as seperate inboxes so you can have both gmail and orange. Once orange stop the emails the email client will keep trying to get the emails. You can then instruct the client not o keep trying and leave the inbox there as an archive of sorts and use the gmail one :thumbs:

john clarke