Anyone still using wasp grub?

Martin56

Wasp Grubs & Wasp cake (the nest cells) was a killing bait mainly for Chub on the Yorkshire rivers in the 60's to 90's.

Anyone still using it??

My Uncle used to dig up wasps nests after treating with cyamag (Magnesium cyanide).

Could also buy from tackle shops - frozen & wrapped in newspaper, but the grubs would hatch out as wasps when thawing as you were fishing!!

A needle or tweezers to kill them as they hatched sufficed!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Great bait when I can get my hands on it ... vivid memories of digging the nests with my dad and his mates, using Cymag .... and the state of his leg when one of them was stung by about affected though not-quite-dead wasp :-)

Unfortunately the only access these days seems to be via a benevolent pest control operator

My Uncle used to dig up wasps nests after treating with cyamag (Magnesium cyanide).

My uncle used to dig up wasps nests after a cursory smoking-out (sulphur and saltpetre). He only picked up two or thee stings per nest :lol:

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I've never used real wasp grub, but I have some sweet spray-on Wasp Grub bait flavouring in the shed which I haven't used for a few years.

I used to give my maggots a spray occasionally before a match and you could smell the sweet Wasp Grub smell from quite a few swims away Lol.

I'm not sure whether it did my fishing any good but it gave me a bit of confidence and it certainly didn't have any detrimental affects. The only problem was that my hands smelt of it for ages afterwards as it would not wash off until about 12 hours afterwards.

Keith

• Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Not worth the risk for me.

I'm allergic to the stings which resulted in me getting a proper spring in my step when I was fishing the lower Severn last summer in shorts and looked down to discover that I was standing about 40cm from a very active nest.

Fortunately, I didn't get stung.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I've never used real wasp grub, but I have some sweet spray-on Wasp Grub bait flavouring in the shed which I haven't used for a few years.

I used to give my maggots a spray occasionally before a match and you could smell the sweet Wasp Grub smell from quite a few swims away Lol.

I'm not sure whether it did my fishing any good but it gave me a bit of confidence and it certainly didn't have any detrimental affects. The only problem was that my hands smelt of it for ages afterwards as it would not wash off until about 12 hours afterwards.

Keith

Thanks for the idea Keith, I see it's available (online at least) & may have it in the shops also - at around £5.50 or so.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• 3 weeks later...

Bites are very often slow & delicate but unmissable - a bit like an elderly person savouring a chocolate liqueur :wub:

Edited by Martin56

• 2 weeks later...

Bites are very often slow & delicate but unmissable - a bit like an elderly person savouring a chocolate liqueur :wub:

One doesn't become elderly without learning a thing or two.

The technique with a chocolate liqueur is to down it quickly, hide the glass, and change your seat.

With luck your host may think you haven't had one and pour you another.

...and yes, if I were a chub I wouldn't last long :)

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...