I love the Ribble even more now!

AddictedToScopex

So last night saw my last night on the river Ribble before it closes for the closed season and what a night it was. I turned up at 9pm to meet my brother and a friend who had been there since about 4pm. I had already set up both rods at home and didnt have to do much before getting them in.

My brother reported that the small chub had been on the feed and they had had 5 between them before I got there. Within about half an hour I had had one myself.

It was nice to see so much action going on in this section of the Ribble as more often than not it is the kind of place where you are fishing for maybe one or two fish a night but generally speaking they will be of a good size. My last trip there had seen me beat my pb barbel taking it over 11lbs.

I fished for quite a while after the chub with not much going on besides plucks from small chub. I decided to up my hook bait size and feeding option by changing from pellets to crushed boilies and putting 2 boilies on the hair rig instead of 1. Within about 20 minutes of this I had a good take and played the fish all the way to the bank before the rod went dead and I realised it had snagged me up in something below the water. I was gutted. I knew that this place didnt always produce a lot of bites and this could have been my only chance to catch.

I re-rigged and stuck to the strategy and cast back in. It took a bit longer this time but I got another bite and had learnt from the last mistake to keep the fishes head up once I got it near the bank. It had a great fight in it and felt really heavy in the flow. I knew it was a good fish. I slid the net under it after bringing it the width of the river back to my bank. As I lifted the net I knew this was a really good fish. I unhooked it and weighed it and was so happy with what I saw. The fish had smashed my pb by over a pound going 12lb 4oz.

33xhpp1.jpg

I carried on fishing thinking that was me. I had achieved something I really hadn't expected and was happy enough with that. I cast back to the same spot and sat back with a big smile on my face. About 20 minutes later I had another big bite and another fish on. Again it felt heavy and strong in the flow. I wasn't sure if it was a carp or a barbel but knew for sure it was a good size whatever it was.

A spirited fight later and I slid the net under another large barbel. I couldn't be sure of the size but it looked a double to me before weighing it. I unhooked it and weighed it and it came in at 10lb 8oz! 2 doubles in one evening. I was made up.

5ajt3a.jpg

Not long after that my brother asked what I was using bait wise so I told him and let him have some to use. Within 20 minutes he had had another barbel and another double figure one at that. 10lb on the nose. What an evening and what a way to end the season. I love the Ribble :)

b6buk2.jpg

• Like 3

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

What a grand end to the fishing season, great fishing. :thumbs:

Keith

• Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Some cracking fish there mate, three doubles in a night from the Dribble is a good result.

I can't believe you've had so little feedback on this post, you should've said you caught them on a vintage centrepin and everyone would've lost their minds..

I'll let you PM me the details of the bait you were using in exchange for the info I gave you on the Tench pond ;)

haha maybe welly :) Yes I will pm you no problem. My tench campaign will be beginning very soon. I have just got my RADAC permit through the post and they have some interesting looking waters and some of which dont mention carp at all so could be really good for a decent tench and pretty local.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk