A few hours out last October

Vagabond

In a lifetime of flytying, very few of my materials came via tghe fishing tackle industry. In my youth I shot enough game to provide me with enogh fur and feathers to last me out,

Haberdashers have always bee my "go-to" option for threads - not nylon but sewing silks. Many other things there also - do you know you can get PVA thread there in large reels at a fraction of tackle-shop prices Charity shops too - old necklaces etc for pence - a great source of beads, and flashy things for lure-making.

One of my very first fishing books was "Tackle-making for Anglers" by Vernon Bates - well dated now, but the principle remains.

PS I do have a quantity of Veniard materials and very good they are too - I picked them up as part of a job lot at a house clearance sale.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I did buy quite a lot of beads for fly tying from Hobbycraft, but the metal ones are mostly hollow and the solid ones are mostly plastic, so they don't give the weight that I usually want in a beadhead. Lots of interesting stuff there, though, I agree.

the solid ones are mostly plastic, so they don't give the weight that I usually want in a beadhead.

What is wrong with tying up leadheads without the lead, and just pinching an appropriate split shot on next the fly ? What did J K Best say ? Makes the streamer more versatile Likewise, each of my several sizes of Ondex spoons comes in a range of weights, courtesy of some lead wire. Easily put on, easily removed.

RNLI Governor

Nothing at all, an excellent idea!

I think most of my beaded nymphs these days use tungsten beads, which are smaller for a given weight than traditional brass ones, but the idea of tying with a low density bead of the size I want and then adding or removing weight with splitshots is a good one.

Hi Vagabond - I sport a stent,

Hi Martin, and the rest of you lot, An update.

I now sport, not one, not two, but three stents ! I did get away without the rotablation that had previously been thought necessary as they were able to push the stents into place without having to "rebore" the arteries. The report on the procedure refers to my cardiac arteries as "tortuous" - which presumably is why I finished up at King's College Hospital under the auspices of their chief cardiologist in the first place. Anyway, this was a first class team who did a first class job, so now all I need to do is get in trim for some fishing - already I have progressed from needing glyceryl trinitrate every time I tottered a few steps. to walking in the garden needing neither stick nor chemical support.

The target is to catch a decent fish before the end of April - although fly casting is forbidden for three weeks, so look out ! Every trip from now on I will regard as a bonus trip as there was a real chance my fishing days were over.

Hope you have a good season also Martin - something that was very apparent in the recovery ward at King's was the camaraderie amongst the patients - it was a bit like Churchill's comment when a young soldier in the Boer War " There is nothing so exhilarating as being shot at - without result "

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

That's great news Dave, take it easy and start on roach under 2lb, before working up to the bigger stuff. :fishing:

Take care

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Great news get back to reaching 600 types of fish

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks all for your good wishes - have just had a short walk over some rough ground on Ashdown Forest,, Tiring, but nice to be out in the sunshine and see a few heathland birds (stonechat, linnet etc) I think the first fishing trip is not far away.

• Like 3

RNLI Governor

......The target is to catch a decent fish before the end of April......

Alternatively you could write a sequel whilst convalescing, the first was far too short and you’ll have plenty of time after that for fishing.

Really pleased that the op went well, best wishes from me.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back