Wanted

Norm B

Newts are protected so anyone taking revenge on my newts would find life "difficult. Hedgehogs while not protected for political reasons are endangered and if I can help them by removing one fox I will. :clap3:

er, hedgehogs predate on newts Norm, so that fox may be protecting your newts!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Absolutely true Leon but my newts are increasing year on year where as my frogs are decreasing year on year due to predation by newts eating their spawn and tadpoles and frogs being eaten by hedgehogs, cats and foxes, it's nature but cats I can't do anything about (legally), hogs are declining so they warrant protection but no shortage of foxes and it's only one that is a problem so the answer is obvious, cull or remove one fox. The catch trap didn't materialise so it's an ounce (28gms) of no.3 shot to solve the problem. :bye2:

Edited by Norm B

Norm,

There will always be bias when balancing nature in your personal environment. It would be a lot easier if you were talking about rats. No one wants to protect rats. The bias is the other direction.

BTW, I used to go out of my way to protect my worms whilst ridding my garden of grubs. Now, I kill a few worms and all the grubs with chemicals. I got over it.

Phone

:clap3: That's it, everyone has their own agenda. In my last house I had a large garden with loads of wildlife and a row of horse chestnut trees on my boundary. I asked my neighbours if they'd mind me culling the magpies in "our trees" as nobody was sure whose they were. Oh no was the reply, you can't shoot the magpies, the RSPB says they aren't a threat to bird life. Well later that year they proudly announced that they had a chaffinch nest in their cherry tree and they could see into it from their bedroom window. 3 weeks later they asked me to shoot the magpies as they had taken the chicks within a day of hatching, both magpies gone within 24 hours, happy neighbours, not so happy with RSPB though. As the saying goes, he who saves everything conserves nothing. I conserve what I want and control those I don't want. :clap3:

Edited by Norm B

• 2 weeks later...

Badgers may be culling 'hogs in the wild but there aren't any badgers in my garden. It's just one fox.

Put out a trail cam. You might be surprised what nocturnal visitors you're getting.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Put out a trail cam. You might be surprised what nocturnal visitors you're getting.

:clap3: I have infra red operated security lights so I know what's visiting at night and I have actually seen the fox take a hog, it's a big dog fox, very plump, not the normal lean scavenger that the others are so it's obviously found a rich food source besides scraps and worms etc. I just wish it would eat cats instead. :clap3: