rod pricing

wotnobivvy

I have been handed two rods by a neighbour that belonged to her late husband. She wants me to dispose of them, and I am trusted not to rip her off.

1. approx. 7ft 2 piece split cane with lined butt and tip ring, cork butt with sliding reel fittings with no name

2 13ft 3 piece hollow glass with lined butt and tip, cork butt with sliding reel fittings. name B. James and son in association with Bruce & Walker. Model CTM 13 s

I assume the first has no real value but lookin at auction sites it looks as if the second could be worth quite a bit

Does anyone have an idea of a sensible price and/or offer.

I am a bit loath to post it after the experience on here with crushed items, so it would likely be Buyer collects

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

The CTM stands for compound taper match, with the13s I believe standing for a 13 footer with a spliced tip.

They came from a famous maker having the unique selling point at the time of a compound rather than a straight taper.

The CTM14 (that had a hollow rather than a spliced tip) was the first decent float rod I bought in 1973, but was awfully top heavy.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I have been handed two rods by a neighbour that belonged to her late husband. She wants me to dispose of them, and I am trusted not to rip her off.

1. approx. 7ft 2 piece split cane with lined butt and tip ring, cork butt with sliding reel fittings with no name

2 13ft 3 piece hollow glass with lined butt and tip, cork butt with sliding reel fittings. name B. James and son in association with Bruce & Walker. Model CTM 13 s

I assume the first has no real value but lookin at auction sites it looks as if the second could be worth quite a bit

Does anyone have an idea of a sensible price and/or offer.

I am a bit loath to post it after the experience on here with crushed items, so it would likely be Buyer collects

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi wotnob - Buyer collects often limits your market.

Just need to send them in a Bombproof, thick Cardboard (NOT A HARD PLASTIC) Tube with taped up plastic end caps.

I've bought Rods, (won on eBay AND Mail order) with no issues re damage sent in this way.

On a good day might get 10 - £15 for the cane one & 40 to £60+ for the 13 footer.

Many rods are worth next to nothing these days, & I'm sorry to say this but - sentimental value, sadly doesn't cut any ice on the open market.

I was going to post an Emoji but that would be most inappropriate this time.

It's very sad when parting with a loved ones possessions, & even moreso, your responsibility for you to do your best for Her.

To be totally honest, I'd advise her just to keep the Cane one in his memory. (a Tube & postage IMO seems hardly worth the hassle, or maybe even give that one to a Charity Shop??)

Of course I could be well out with the value?? but seems about right to me.

Just to add, I have no interest in these bud' - I've more rods than you could shake a stick at!!

Looks like I've timed out on the post & now a bit mixed up??

Sorry.

Martin.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

My fishing mate who died before Christmas, his missus told me I can have all of his gear, I thanked her and said I would love to. Without even seeing it, I know that a lot of it I would not wish to keep and told her so, she suggested selling it for a charity, I suggested leaving on a charter boat or two so youngsters can have use of it. the value of fishing gear apart from a few items has never been worth the effort.

I know that my old mate would approve of leaving it for others to use.

Edited by barry luxton
  • Like 1

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

That was a great idea Barry & a very nice gesture.

My fishing mate who died before Christmas, his missus told me I can have all of his gear, I thanked her and said I would love to. Without even seeing it, I know that a lot of it I would not wish to keep and told her so, she suggested selling it for a charity, I suggested leaving on a charter boat or two so youngsters can have use of it. the value of fishing gear apart from a few items has never been worth the effort.

I know that my old mate would approve of leaving it for others to use.

There are also Angling charities up & down the country who teach (mainly, underprivileged) kids how to fish, & appreciate tackle donations.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I inherited some 1960's and before tackle from my late Uncle, who introduced me to fishing, most of it is not worth selling, but I did sale on ebay a hollow cane Redditch made match rod for £100, so these collectors are out there, our junk is their treasure. I would certainly put it on ebay, and try buyer collect.

Update

Took it along with some of my redundant kit to Les Webber Angling Project near to Wraybury. He was overjoyed to recieve it as any thing he can't use he will sell. He gets no official funding, so relies totally on donations

• Like 1

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Took it along with some of my redundant kit to Les Webber Angling Project near to Wraybury. He was overjoyed to recieve it as any thing he can't use he will sell. He gets no official funding, so relies totally on donations

A very worthy cause - well done.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...