hybrid drives

chesters1

i have just bought a firecuda as my windows partition was almost full.
tried 3 times with the WD version of acronis and each time the log in screen just kept switching on an off in a loop
Formatted the drive again and used Marcrium reflect which now boots into windows fine ,everything looks like the old disk BUT its so slow i am seeing things to fast to see on the old disk ,opening a folder ii know see "working on it" and a green line slowly moving along the top as the folder is filled.
Now have i done something wrong ? does windows need something to use the drive ? or am i or the drive duff (i know part of your answer)

start up time 1 .33 minutes (painfully slow)

but perhaps my bits and bobs on startup are the cause

21 items on startup

97 tasks

10 plugins

30 application services

48 windows services

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I guess you have got the latest Seagate firmware downloaded and installed?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I guess you have got the latest Seagate firmware downloaded and installed?

I will have a look in the morning,about as fast as my old disk at the moment hopefully it will improve

Unfortunately cloning a disk the same size as the old one means the partitions are the same size ,i have now removed one onto the old disk so now its googling time to see if partition magic will extend the windows partition to use the space left

Update there is no later firm ware and no it doesn't but paragon does

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

What OS Chesters? Are the partitions on the drive aligned properly?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Win 10 not sure what an aligned partition is?

Interesting i will have a peek tomorrow ,the pc is only used for games or photo stuff i misspell on the tablet mostly

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/align-partition.html

update the only unligned partitions were the original disk where i deleted a partition to extend both larger ,now aligned

Edited by chesters1

Any luck chesters? I'm interested to see how you get on with it because I'm thinking of getting one for my birthday at the end of next month. I have a Seagate SSHD in my laptop and it works just fine.

No faster than the old disk ,still over 1min 30 to boot and 100% disk use for 3 minutes after.

I had a thought though as some swear windows boots fast with a hybrid drive ,i turn my pc fully off ,no sleep no hibernate so its booting from cold ?

Not tried any games yet

No faster than the old disk ,still over 1min 30 to boot and 100% disk use for 3 minutes after.

I had a thought though as some swear windows boots fast with a hybrid drive ,i turn my pc fully off ,no sleep no hibernate so its booting from cold ?

Not tried any games yet

Then something is wrong somewhere. When I put the Seagate 2.5" drive in my laptop there was a marked difference to boot times and the machine felt much more responsive over all.

Have you tried defragging? It's quite safe to defrag hybrid drives.

I'd be tempted to wipe all the partitions off of it and do a fresh install of Windows 10, just as a wee experiment.

A fresh install usually does but the trouble is the USR file quickly starts adding up mines 97 gb and thats shaved down ,heaven knows why windows hogs stuff to itself when the same stuff is happily sitting on a seperate drive!

Once theres a program that can trundle through 4 hard drives and put the associations to the programs back life would be easier

I have the usual nortons back ups ,windows dooda where it saves all the data from the old pc to the new one but once all thats restored its just as bad.

Huge 40gb games files as well and on 1.4mb download it would take a week to put them back lol

A fresh install usually does but the trouble is the USR file quickly starts adding up mines 97 gb and thats shaved down ,heaven knows why windows hogs stuff to itself when the same stuff is happily sitting on a seperate drive!

Once theres a program that can trundle through 4 hard drives and put the associations to the programs back life would be easier

I have the usual nortons back ups ,windows dooda where it saves all the data from the old pc to the new one but once all thats restored its just as bad.

Huge 40gb games files as well and on 1.4mb download it would take a week to put them back lol

I wasn't suggesting you do a fresh install and then install all your apps and data from scratch. Just OS and all the updates.

Maybe you just have a duff 'un?