Senior (and not so senior) moments

Vagabond

I bought some on the basis it said on the lable "100% talc free" on closer observation it was corn starch DOH

Look carefully at the red square

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medipure-Pack-Medicated-Body-Powder/dp/B01LYAGEZR/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_121_tr_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Q3H2S0VQH889ZNZSFP7J

No bargains this time

Its better than talc as it doent have pong but does have other stuff ,talc effects my nether regions as does ordinary soap not sure it would preserve rubber but might make it better?

Talc is a great marketing ploy ,you buy something fine and dry to make your wet body dry then distribute wet talc to your clothing!?!? Must be made by washing powder makers! Better than filling your pants with scores of those sticks you get in puncture repair outfits though

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The talk about natural floats (twigs) got me thinking, is it a wise thing to do?

Natural Big Carp Float

Natural%20Carp%20Float_zpsnglgemhe.jpg

A Popular Big Carp Lake

Natural%20floats%20on%20carp%20lake_zpsz

• Like 2

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• 3 weeks later...

...and here’s another !
Went fishing at a local pond Wednesday **. Remembered rod, reel, net, tackle, bait and seat. Forgot specs,

Cue :- “My eyes are dim , I cannot see, I have not brought my specs with me.... “

Threaded up rods OK, attached float, but couldn’t thread on a #14 eyed hook.....

Until.... I remembered an old skill from the 1960s, In those days , no nonsense with beta-lights and head torches - we fished in darkness, and had to learn how to tie on a hook in the dark.
I have never seen it mentioned here, but I can still do it !

Method Hold bend of hook in left hand and bring eye up to touch the tip of your tongue. Hold line between finger and thumb of tight hand with about a quarter-inch projecting and poke at your tongue with it – THROUGH THE HOOK EYE. Your tongue is sensitive enough to allow you to do that. BTW It only works for stiff line such as monofilament, No good for braid !
Once threaded, you OUGHT to be able to tie a grinner by touch alone

The first time I was told about it (by Chevin if memory serves) I didn’t believe it either !

So, if you are incredulous, do what I did – get off your f... a... Find a hook and some nylon, shut your eyes and try it. Tell us how you got on.

If I have resurrected an old angling skill, my day is made - but did anyone else know this already ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

...and heres another !

Went fishing at a local pond Wednesday **. Remembered rod, reel, net, tackle, bait and seat. Forgot specs,

Cue :- My eyes are dim , I cannot see, I have not brought my specs with me....

Threaded up rods OK, attached float, but couldnt thread on a #14 eyed hook.....

Until.... I remembered an old skill from the 1960s, In those days , no nonsense with beta-lights and head torches - we fished in darkness, and had to learn how to tie on a hook in the dark.

Method Hold bend of hook in left hand and bring eye up to touch the tip of your tongue. Hold line between finger and thumb of tight hand with about a quarter-inch projecting and poke at your tongue with it THROUGH THE HOOK EYE. Your tongue is sensitive enough to allow you to do that. BTW It only works for stiff line such as monofilament, No good for braid !

The first time I was told about it (by Chevin if memory serves) I didnt believe it either !

So, if you are incredulous, do what I did get off your f... a... Find a hook and some nylon, shut your eyes and try it. Tell us how you got on.

If I have resurrected an old angling skill, my day is made - but did anyone else know this already ?

I thought you were a pipe smoker ,those that do smoke i did until recently always have a light on them ?

Candles in jars were the headlamps of their day!

...and heres another !

Cue :- My eyes are dim , I cannot see, I have not brought my specs with me....

Threaded up rods OK, attached float, but couldnt thread on a #14 eyed hook.....

Method Hold bend of hook in left hand and bring eye up to touch the tip of your tongue. Hold line between finger and thumb of tight hand with about a quarter-inch projecting and poke at your tongue with it THROUGH THE HOOK EYE. Your tongue is sensitive enough to allow you to do that. BTW It only works for stiff line such as monofilament, No good for braid !

The first time I was told about it (by Chevin if memory serves) I didnt believe it either !

So, if you are incredulous, do what I did get off your f... a... Find a hook and some nylon, shut your eyes and try it. Tell us how you got on.

I thought you were a pipe smoker ,those that do smoke i did until recently always have a light on them ?

Candles in jars were the headlamps of their day!

Dammit got a server error and resent!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I thought you were a pipe smoker ,those that do smoke i did until recently always have a light on them

Yeh, but,but,but.... You would need a hand to hold the hook, a hand to hold the matchbox, a hand to hold the match and a hand to hold the line. (Have NEVER used a Ronson-type lighter - abominations.)

That makes four hands - even the Ronson-toting philistines would need three.

My method = No need for light

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

Ok i relent you win.

Wait light a candle put it in a jar then do your hook ,several possible flaws but all were staple fishing items of the past ,how can we forget such basic principles so soon ? I doubt you even take a half sheet to put your line on anymore .

When your not casting a bit of bread in the middle and while away the hours pot shotting rats and mice

These kids dont have a clue

Ps zippos will stand quite happily and not bad in the wind either

Edited by chesters1

I doubt you even take a half sheet to put your line on anymore .

In those days I cycled to my fishing venues. Had a cyclists cape and before the days of egg-beater reels would hand-coil the line onto the cape (remembering to reverse the coils before casting)

Rod propped on an idle-back broken from a convenient bush (no stainless-steel rod-pods)

Bite indicator/tension adjuster was a lump of mud squeezed on the line. (No electronic Delkims)

Fishing in the steam age - as good as it got

Oh, BTW night fishing then was sort of semi-legal

Many venues were fished on a lassez-faire principle - we didn't have formal permission, but then, OTOH nobody had said we couldn't fish there - probably because they were unaware of their waters being fished. Not showing a light was a good method of keeping it that way.......

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

I've definitely read it somewhere: I think it's described by Kevin Maddocks in his book *Carp Fever*.

I've definitely read it somewhere: I think it's described by Kevin Maddocks in his book *Carp Fever*.

The only hook body contact book i can see is "is that my hook in your ear" by Ronald pearsall so i guess fishing had its quirks back in the day pre ipad

I did glance in "go fishing with uncle bill" but i think he was the pedophile brother of mr crabtree ,in one chapter he says " i was watching a young boy on the hampshire avon the other day " yes uncle bill you probably were and the only knots you had your mind on was under your hand beneath your mackintosh you dirty fictitious character

Yes your right page 104

Edited by chesters1

Yes your right page 104

Thanks guys - that is one angling book I don;t possess - when was it first published ? I would guess 1970s/1980s

Tying eyed hooks in the dark was common knowlege amongst night fishers for carp n the 1960s

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor