Re-incarnation in the Wood Mouse (Apodemus sylvaticus)

Vagabond

Get a moggy.

Plenty around here ,we appear to be on the boundary of neighbours two doors away's pair and two from the other way ,badgers as well so many a track is forming on the front lawn!

Most of the problem is the cows dont have all the field to browse in so theres rough grassland right up to the fence to use as a corridor hidden from the birds of prey they would be spotted in an instant coming in from the rear

Having had moggies ours tended to bring home everything but mice ,lots of shrews (they dont eat them) the occasional sand lizard and birds galore and the occasional mole

One year a bird nesting box had bees in the base and in the top mice ,i posted a picture of it poking its head out.

We have also a snake cast in the composter far bigger than the slow worms that usually live in it but my daughter tried to get it out but it fell to pieces

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

We have three cats and we have more assorted wildlife in the house than ever we did before we got the cats.

They bring us presents every day.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

We have three cats and we have more assorted wildlife in the house than ever we did before we got the cats.

They bring us presents every day.

In one of our old houses i fell asleep on the couch with the window open and in my sleep i could hear scratching and i woke up and still heard the scratching.

In those days we had a carpet that was about a foot to short on each side so it didnt go wall to wall ,on turning on the light there was a slow moving lump under the carpet and luckily i didnt stamp on it but waited for it to come out ,it was a mole! Obviously the cat had brought it home and dropped it and it tunneled under the carpet and was scratching the floor boards trying to dig lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Get a moggy.

Useless. Next door have three cats, they don't even frighten the birds away from our feeders. All these damn cats seem to do is eat stacks of expensive cat food and "cat treats" and then sneak into our garden and try to use Norma's seed beds as a litter tray. I have trained them to flee in terror whenever I even look out of the window.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Mousepaste is always an option.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I was never a fan of the nail varnish type myself. You're probably right. Even Speedy Gonzales would have a problem maintaininng a mean speed of 5 metres a minute. Of course without the experiment we will never know. Fame fortune and a Nobel Prize may only be a dab of fly varnish away ;-)

Found this on another forum seems like its been done already

"Years ago my small son and I lived in a house that was a mouse magnet at the edge of the woods. The brazen little buggers would actually sit inside my cockatiel's cage and eat out of his dish, much to his confusion. Since the kid was a junior scientist he wanted to do a "mouse study" so we bought a catch and release trap. Each mouse caught was marked with nail polish in a unique way and released at some distance away. marking and re-catch results were kept in a notebook (what can I say- that's what happens when your mom worked as a naturalist). We started with about 100 yards away; nearly all of the mice were re-caught within 2 days. We went further afield, up to 1/4 mile and then 1/2 mile away- most of them still came back. Darn little homing pigeons..... Done with the apparently insurmountable battle we just started kill trapping. Nowadays I keep my outbuildings and yard stocked with black snakes and my jack russells capture a lot of the survivors, but I've given up on the live trapping thing for good. Any killed ones I get go in the chickens' treat pan the following morning. I've kept mice and rats as pets and enjoyed them very much but free-ranging vermin in the house will not be allowed to stay. And trust me, if they've found your coop it's only a matter of time before they decide to move into your house for the winter"

The cdc have also done a study using deer mice and they have returned from 1200m away from the capture point

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/5/1/99-0125_article

The last two days have produced zero mice

We seem to have won on several fronts lately

Mice no longer raiding our greenhouse

Roe deer no longer eating our anemone shoots

Pheasants no longer rooting up our tulips

Jackdaws no longer trying to fill our chimneys with dead larch twigs

Next-door cats no longer using our garden as a latrine

Too good to be true ?

Wonder what else is lurking out there Good job we haven't got a belfry.......

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

And the freezer is full...

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The last two days have produced zero mice

We seem to have won on several fronts lately

Mice no longer raiding our greenhouse

Roe deer no longer eating our anemone shoots

Pheasants no longer rooting up our tulips

Jackdaws no longer trying to fill our chimneys with dead larch twigs

Next-door cats no longer using our garden as a latrine

Too good to be true ?

Wonder what else is lurking out there Good job we haven't got a belfry.......

Lucky you live on the fifteenth floor ,you should try here in a bungalow