Fishing larger waters. Stick or twist?

AddictedToScopex

Brian,

I worry when fishing larger waters that I am casting to a needle in a haystack unless I build a swim

Early and late in the season you generally are on big waters, but big waters can have big heads of fish, so if you can find the pockets.........

Warmer times of the season when the fish are active/on the move and feeding everywhere will give you the best returns form putting plenty of bait in and waiting for them to come to you.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Another option is to use a second rod. On static and one mobile.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Hi Rik, would the prevailing wind have been in that Angler's Face?? (& therefore at your back where you were fishing)

It's not always comfortable fishing facing the wind, but is generally accepted a better option as it drifts natural food towards the Angler + can usually fish closer in.

This alone can the key to success on still water - The bait thing being a more secondary element.

AHHH, if only it were that simple.........

I fish a big gravel pit. It is managed so as to produce few, but good-sized fish.

I usually target the perch that are there - - and have had a fair number of sesquipedalian perch over the years from this and all sorts of waters , but this particular venue is far from being easy fishing.

One day I chose a swim, yes, with the wind in my face, elected to float fish a bunch of lobs, and serendipity, there was a strong undertow out away from my bank that allowed me to trot the tackle out across a submerged gravel bar, At the limit of each trot the undertow petered out, and at that point,. down went the float Plenty of perch that day, including some two-pounders. The next day, same swim, same wind, same tactics, same result..... and again the third day, the best fish just over 3 lb. "I've cracked it !" I thought to myself

Haven't had a perch over 2 lb from that lake since ! Wind in face, even an undertow setting away from the bank, but just because I have found it doesn't mean the perch have.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Another option is to use a second rod. On static and one mobile.

You can't leave a rod unattended while you go walkabout, dumbo!

You must make sure that the distance between the butts of the outermost rods isn’t more than 3 metres when fishing with multiple rods and lines.

Sorry you didn't understand,

Rod mobile, not angler.

One rod on baited area, one rod cast around. Dumbo.

Sorry you didn't understand,

Rod mobile, not angler.

One rod on baited area, one rod cast around. Dumbo.

I don't believe you, your just trying to cover your ignorance...dummy-tit.

Well, you're not making any effort to cover your stupidity, I'll give you that, child.

For the rest of you, that's my final word, I have no intention of submitting everyone else to a childish name calling contest.

You want to carry on Tigger, send me another PM

Edited by Sportsman
  • Like 1

I tend to fish larger waters and can understand your frustration when it comes to locating the carp. You are right about finding them rather than hoping they will find you. The way I go about it is as another poster has mentioned use the weather conditions along with the time of year to narrow down the choice. Then its out with the plumbing rod and thermometer to get an idea of the depth, type of bottom, weed and any other features. Also a pair of bino's helps locate bubbling carp or those porpoising. There is no substitute for time spent reccying the water unless you have solid information from others to help you. Carp are habitual and a good spot will remain a good spot while ever the weather conditions are similar. A change of wind or a sudden drop in temperatures however could send them elsewhere.

At this time of year the carp are likely to be on the leeward bank and in relatively shallow water unless the wind turns chilly. If the thermometer shows the lee bank to be warmer than the other side then that is the place to fish and not too far out. If you can find such a place and sit and watch they will often show themselves especially at first and last light.

For bait I don't look any further than maize; milled and whole grains mixed in with some hemp seeds. Two artificial corn grains on the hair has accounted for most the carp I've had from large still waters and rivers. If the carp are there and hungry they will immediately switch onto maize and for some reason I don't get bothered by bream as I would if using pellets or boilies.

Regards, Clive

Cheers for the replies folks. Looks like a more mobile (hookbait not me) approach in future then til I find them.

Bait wise I am pretty happy that if I could get it to them they would eat it so I just need to find them.

I was always told not to spread bait all over the place and to be accurate with feeding.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

If you are just fishing for a few hours rather than bivvying for several days then you don't need much bait and what you do put in is best in a small area around the hookbait. I steam the maize and hemp in a pressure cooker then dry it off with cornflour and ground hemp so it will go inside a PVA bag or sleeve without dissolving it. You don't want to be driving the fish away with an intense spodding campaign if you are only going to be there for a few hours. The cornflour and ground hemp gives a cloud of scent and it only involves one splash as the weight, hookbait and PVA bag all go in together. If the fish are there they will have it within half an hour, usually a lot less. If there are no bites and no other signs I'll move on somewhere else.

Alternatively try using a heavy waggler with the artificial maize bait over a bed of catapulted maize. If you boil the milled maize and hemp with just enough water to stop the pan from going dry, like making a risotto, then when the seeds are cooked stir in some cornflour and leave it to cool. The seeds will be very sticky and you can catapult small balls around your float.

If you are using boilies or pellets then adapt the feeding accordingly. But in truth its all about location, not bait.

Regards, Clive