Back on Track

Vagabond

First fishing trip since last October, so not too ambitious - about fifty yards from car park to a quiet woodland pond.

Quiet ?? Well it was to start with, then no less than four separate cars turned up and four young chaps started what seemed to be a match fishing session. (by "young" I mean whipper-snappers in their middle sixties)

Nothing much doing, I had a few perch, schoolboy size, and no runs on the rod baited for larger perch, The matchmen, lined up on the opposite bank, only had about three small fish between them. Despite the sunshine it was a chilly north wind blowing, but it was good to be out in the fresh air, see a few woodland spring flowers, and listen to some spring birdsong - yes they came near enough for even me to hear them.

Nothing special, unless one has been waiting all winter, waiting for repairs to the old ticker, and hoping that no coronary episode comes along first, Like I said earlier - every trip a bonus from hereon.

• Like 5

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Good to hear that you're back on the bank Dave. Only a few perch, but look on the bright side......no carp :D .

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Good to hear that you're back on the bank Dave. Only a few perch, but look on the bright side......no carp :D .

John.

True, and I would have preferred solitude as well but never mind, there was some light entertainment - one of the matchfishers fell off his chair.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

Well done on your first trip out for for some time Dave, I'm having mine tomorrow (Match at Swanlands, Thorne Nr Doncaster)

Not finishing last is my mission :rolleyes:

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Vagabond,

I'd be pleased at a 50yd jaunt. Especially with gear in hand. My issue is company. Wife has forbidden, in a wifely manner, fishing alone. I can count on one hand the number of peer anglers I have left. Younger guys just don't seem to have any interest in a pause to smell the flowers, listen to the woodpeckers, or watch a spring grass snake try to wake up.

Phone

And, perhaps I am only slightly more cantankerous - certainly nothing I can notice.

• Like 1

Nice one Dave. You'll be back thrashing your way down the quiet unbeaten track getting brambled and nettled before you know it. :thumbs:

• Like 1

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

. I can count on one hand the number of peer anglers I have left.

I can count mine on one finger - and he lives in Western Australia !

As Norma's grandmother said, on reaching her 90s "The trouble with living so long is that all your (peer) friends are dead"

I have been privileged to know and count as friends, some very good anglers indeed. All, bar one, now gone. One way to remember them is to keep going fishing.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

My pond is predominately fished by the older generation and every year old timers dont turn up ,most i guess go to the fishing lodge above ,last week was the funeral of roy he was at one time a bailiff of another water but along with his mates used to visit stockbridge until he became infirm and went into a home.

I guess in many cases not doing what they did before hastens the end its sad really all those old boys i used to chat to gone now and some were right characters.

One was percy parrat you didnt have to even get to the pond to know he was there his voice gave him away very load and clear ,gone now and the last of his little gang of five a couple of years ago but in his case not forgotten his daughter is the cleaner for the old guy two doors away and i knew there was a link as her voice is his voice and she was thrilled i had known her old man!

Gone is the gruff old scotsman whos tackle was always getting tangled and his mrs always untangling it and gone is eric who never had a good word for the pond but was on it with his forbidden radio listening to the cricket telling me how much better the fishing was ooop norf most days .

Many times i tarry down the pond far longer than i need to but i guess theres lots of lonely old guys out there and need a bit of a chat ,and being a bit of a loner myself only to pleased to wag a tongue in return ,once the world is sorted we part until the next time but sometimes there isnt one and i realise i havnt see old xxxx for some time and guess hes probably off on his last adventure

Most will leave this world and have little to show they were ever on it some leave plenty behind so their time is extended after death but in the end all become fading memories ,i cant even remember what my parents looked like without photos ,i am not the best for remembering until its to late and all those questions i wanted to ask are impossible to ask so write down your life ,and pencil in on the back of photos whos on the front please in a few years time that maybe all thats left!

Once your at the top of the pile theres no-one left but you ,one day even nasty chesters1 will disappear hopefully someone will notice but i wont hold my breath lol

3 times a week i go down the pond keeping the head bailiff company twice i walk down alone

,tough as old boots at 85 but one day i will get a phone call from his mrs or son telling me hes gone or perhaps he will get one from my mrs but sooner or later something will spoil a nice day ,i have been using death as an excuse not to do things half my life and one day it will chesters1 is in a melancholy mood today perhaps tomorrow will be different but why believe a whipper snapper what do i know lol

Mind you if i keep saying why bother i could be dead tomorrow one day it will come true so why break a habit

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Dave, great to hear you are on the mend and out fishing again. I have been offline for a while, due to the move north but I will be logging in more frequently , just to keep an eye on you.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.