Wingham Fish-In 2017 Catch Reports and Thanks

Steve Burke

Aren't they?! Gorgeous fish.

I had a brand new rod to put through its paces, a Drennan Acolyte Plus in 15', and the perch I had on the waggler really let me see how much stick I could give it. I have never known perch of that size pull that hard, Mind you, I normally fish for perch back end and these were all spawned out.

I lost one, and I thought "that would have been a PB if I had landed it", then the next one felt the same and it was only2-4.

• Like 1

Aren't they?! Gorgeous fish.

I had a brand new rod to put through its paces, a Drennan Acolyte Plus in 15', and the perch I had on the waggler really let me see how much stick I could give it. I have never known perch of that size pull that hard, Mind you, I normally fish for perch back end and these were all spawned out.

I lost one, and I thought "that would have been a PB if I had landed it", then the next one felt the same and it was only2-4.

A great way to christen your new rod! I think it will be able to handle considerably larger fish than those though Steve, did you not get any tench with it? I love catching tench on the float rod :).

No, I did buy it with tench in mind because my ultralight doesn't handle them very well... But I had four spots, a margin area I float fished and three different points on bars in the swim, and all the tench came from the furthest spot out, which was a bugger of a chuck with a large method feeder.

Hoping to see how it handles some of those Ribble barbel, though!

Many thanks to Steve for giving me a place at the Fish-In and for giving me a very good swim that maybe I did not make the most of. Thanks also go to Glyn, Terry and all the bailiff team and other helpers who help to put this event on every year. Special thanks to Peggy for the excellent spread of food at the BBQ's and Steve Campbell (Wyeknot) for the warm welcome and coffee and bacon butty on arrival. It's a very nice and appreciated way to start the weekend.

I also must thank those who who contributed items to the auction, which allowed me to pick up some nice bits. Special thanks to whoever donated the Book of the Perch (pretty sure is was Russ) which Steve B kindly signed and to Paul (tinca tinca) for the rod. Once Paul started waving his rod around the club house, i knew this lot was right up my street!

Now to the fishing, as has already been reported the conditions where not good with most of the weekend been cold and windy. There was plenty of cloud cover which may have helped with the Perch fishing and I have generally done well when there has been a bit of chop on the water. The wind was blowing down the end I was fishing and or direct in to my face, so I did not even try float fishing but decided to ledger. I had plenty of bites over the weekend that I just could not connect with, all on lobs either short runs of a few inches on the bait runner of endless little bleeps. I would strike and the worm would come in completely intact. When bothered by small Perch, i would have expected the bait to be damaged to some degree. I lost count of how often this happened, very frustrating but I did manage some Perch but the bite to hooked fish ratio was very poor.

I did manage a few Roach caught on the first night on fake corn, which did lead me to the theory that maybe the bleeps and small runs I was getting during the day might be Roach tugging at the worms but not able to fit them in their mouths? I did try scaling down my tackle and fishing small hooks an light hook lengths with maggot, corn and small dendras. These tactics did get a bite from anything.

There was a small window of good weather on Sunday evening, when if felt warmer and the lake was like a mill pond, a big difference from the rest of the weekend and this offered a glimmer of hope that maybe the Tench would come on the feed but i did think it would be to little to late. This calmer weather did not last to long and by darkness the wind had picked up again and so I was surpised when I had a couple of male Tench under the cover of darkness, followed up by a small female around 7.00am. I may have made a poor decision after that catch as I decided to change all my rods from night baits, plastic or boiles to fish worm again to allow for a Perch catch. No further Tench was caught but the issue of small nagging bleeps and aborted runs continued. Hindsight is a great thing, on reflection I may have been better off leaving the plastic and boilies on and going back to bed rather then sitting out in the wind by the rods.

Overall and considering how unfavourable the conditions where, I am happy enough with my mixed bag of fish.

The scores on the doors are as follows.

18 Perch. Best of them

2 lb 10 oz

2 lb 14 oz

2 lb 9 oz

All the others ranged between 1 lb 2 oz to 1 lb 12 oz. Sorry, Steve for bringing down the averages when so many 2 pounders where caught by everyone else.

3 Tench

4 lb 8oz (Male)

4 lb 5oz (Male)

5lb 6oz (Female)

2 Roach (not weighed but estimated at around 10 oz)

2 Jacks

Overall, a very enjoyable weekend. It was good to catch up with old faces and hopefully look forward to seeing everyone again next year.

• Like 2

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

No, I did buy it with tench in mind because my ultralight doesn't handle them very well... But I had four spots, a margin area I float fished and three different points on bars in the swim, and all the tench came from the furthest spot out, which was a bugger of a chuck with a large method feeder.

Hoping to see how it handles some of those Ribble barbel, though!

Narrh, they'd snap it lol ;) .

• Like 1

Thank you Steve for the invite, always look forward to the Wingham fish-in. Many thanks to the baliffs for all their hard work and of course Peggy for a great BBQ.

As others have reported not a great weekend for the Tench feeding but I managed a couple and a few Perch and at least it didn't rain!

Catches:

Tench

5-0 male

5-12 male

Perch:

2-11

2-12

2-14

Gy93J4M.jpg

MNrk8bc.jpg

JPk9u9H.jpg

V6uGb2f.jpg

4BnUZiS.jpg

Edited by Maddog
  • Like 3

Colin
My Website

My Blog (mostly Match Fishing)

First of all, a big Thank you to Steve for giving me a place at the fish in and in my favourite swim . I have to say that I have really missed Wingham. Every year it takes a huge effort by a lot of people to prepare Wingham for the fish in. It speaks volumes for the dedication of all the team at |Wingham and the unbelievable support from their family members and friends with a special mention to Glyn, Terry and the Broombridge clan.

Having travelled down in the very early hours of Saturday morning it wasn't long before Mr Korum a.k.a Steve Campbell appeared and was soon into his culinary mode producing a superb sausage butty which was really welcome. Whilst on the subject of culinary delights, I still do not know how Peggy manages to produce such a superb barbie every year so you have my total respect and sincere thanks. If I ask Steve,do you think that he will be able to give me some pointers that will enable me to test the water with my other half to do something similar.

It was good to see that the auction was again well supported with the proceeds going to a very worthy cause coupled with a nice bit of banter. I have noted a comment in a previous post and I have to say that it is very unusual for me to wave my rod around in public but in this case it was in a good cause.

Turning to the fishing, the swim was fairly exposed to the wind so the bivvy had to be placed just right for maximum protection but also enabling a good view of the lake in front of the swim. I have fished this swim many times so started out with my traditional snowman rigs on 2 roda and a maggot feeder on the third rod. these were switched around in numerous ares of the swim but the only sign on Saturday through to Sunday morning was a slight drop back. Sunday turned out to be a totally different day with the wind dropping and being considerably warmer and with nothing happening in the early morning I decided to do a bit of swim searching with a castable sonar. 30 to 50 yards in front there was a wide are that varied between 6 to 8 feet so I decided to change tactic and fish pellets on 2 rods but maintain maggots on the other.In the hour or so before I left to go to the barbie, maggots and pellet were spombed into the areas I intended to fish and lthe swim left to settle down. Later that day after the barbie 2 rods were set up with banjo feeders filled with a mixture of 2 and 4 mill pellet with a 6mm pellet as hook bait and dropped onto the pre baited areas. Steve dropped by later in the afternoon and mentioned that Tench had recently been caught between 8 and 10 pm. Clairvoyant or what because at virtually 8 pm the middle rod went off resulting in a nce male Tench weighing 6lb 2oz. This was immediately unhooked and returned and the rod re bated and cast out. At about 8-15 the rght hand rod went off but what was on end felt quite a bit bigger and angry. This fish faught like a demon and somehow got entangle around the line on the middle rod. After a bit of hassle the fish which was another male was netted unhooked and weghed at 7lb 3oz. It was a superb fish with huge paddles but with a hell of a mess to sort out and getting darker it was straight back into the lake.After a lot of fiddling and cutting of line the two rods were re set up and baits back in the water but nothing further happened. Monday morning showed the wind had risen again and although it was nowhere as bad as Saturday I decided to call it a day around 11am and started to pack up before the barbie.

For me, I always enjoy being at Wingham and was very pleased to get a couple of fish in the prevailing conditions. It was also good to catch up with old friends so Thank you to everyone for a very enjoyable weekend

Edited by tincatinca
  • Like 1

Fantastic perch Maddog, real beauties!

I couldn't stick my hand up for a place this year but If I'm lucky enough next year I'll be targeting perch.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thank you Steve for the invite, always look forward to the Wingham fish-in. Many thanks to the baliffs for all their hard work and of course Peggy for a great BBQ.

As others have reported not a great weekend for the Tench feeding but I managed a couple and a few Perch and at least it didn't rain!

Catches:

Tench

5-0 male

5-12 male

Perch:

4-11

4-12

4-14

20170506_164548_zpstz5bct4x.jpg

20170507_081713_zpsr0bx0g9h.jpg

20170507_081701_zps0ow0vqlj.jpg

IMG_2005_zpst0ml6dar.jpgIMG_1992_zpsnxdhgjhr.jpg