Wingham Fish-In 2017 Catch Reports and Thanks

Steve Burke

Even with out any typos it's still a very impressive haul of big perch. I assume that they are the same/similar year class, and there must be a good supply of small to medium sized prey fish, unless the dreaded crays have invaded.

It is and I've been thinking about what the perch feed on. During the times I've been to Wingham I fished mainly for tench with corn and I've only ever caught tench with it, no fluked roach which I would've thought is a possibility. I'm sure Budgie used to say that during certain months the roach would suddenly appear but after a short period they'd vanish until the following year. Would this be enough to sustain perch? I doubt it. The times I've looked in the margins I don't remember seeing an abundance of fry either.

Maybe Steve can shed some light on this?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

As always a thoroughly enjoyable weekend despite the unfavourable conditions. It's a weekend we look forward to every year and always have mixed emotions when we get a position as it proves that there is less and less interest from new members joining AN which is a shame. Even my girlfriend Vicky looks forward to this weekend now and didn't complain, too much, when I informed her that we'd be getting up at 5am to make the 70 mile trip to my favourite venue.

As always a massive thank you to the bailiffs (and families) for all their hard work in preparing for the fish-in, Steve Campbell for the refreshments, Peggy for an awesome BBQ as always and lastly, and most importantly, to Steve Burke for allowing us all to descend onto his amazing fishery.

As already mentioned by others the conditions were not great for my favoured tench so hearing that the perch were in a feeding mood I decided to go with the naturals to give me a chance with both species. Swapping between the float, running feeder and helicopter feeder tactics I managed a total of 5 perch. As always I used my usual method feeder/pellet tactics through the night to see if there were any tench around but I just don't think they were in the feeding mood despite seeing a few rolling in the area.

My perch went:

2-10 feeder/worm

2-2 float/worm

2-6 float/worm

2-7 feeder/worm

2-7 feeder/worm

Thanks again to all - a few pics below

064bfdb593ae6c1fa46ea8fec8de8bb6.jpg

7cef87f0fedbf63ec1b87893f99a7186.jpg

9c8a7a81f719954fdfb1b4c4b30af075.jpg

• Like 2

Effort equals reward!!

Love the first pic, what an old warhorse that is (the fish I mean). When your fingers sink into a perch's belly then it's a big perch. Well done!

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Love the first pic, what an old warhorse that is (the fish I mean). When your fingers sink into a perch's belly then it's a big perch. Well done!

Wouldn't surprise me at all should a record, or near to it Perch come from this great venue.

A Logistical bridge too far for me - having no transport & West Yorkshire. :bye2:

Am I Jealous?? - Bet Ya' boots I am !!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Wouldn't surprise me at all should a record, or near to it Perch come from this great venue.

A Logistical bridge too far for me - having no transport & West Yorkshire. :bye2:

Am I Jealous?? - Bet Ya' boots I am !!!

You could probably get a week at the burstin from up there transport included

We tried and strangley we are to far south to be included

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson