How do you hook yours?

Hi all,

As I have had the unfortunate falling through of my childcare for the weekend, meaning I can no longer attend Wingham, I am consoling myself with a trip to a reservoir tomorrow to cheer myself up. I am planning on fishing a maggot feeder with dendrobaena on the hook. I was wondering what hook size and hooking technique you guys find most effective with worms? Do you head hook them or side hook them? Nip the tail off? Basically how do you hook yours and any other tips when fishing them.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I use a 15 inch QUICKSTOP Hair Rig for Maggot feeder & Bomb, & a 4 Inch one for Method feeder.

Hi all,

As I have had the unfortunate falling through of my childcare for the weekend, meaning I can no longer attend Wingham, I am consoling myself with a trip to a reservoir tomorrow to cheer myself up. I am planning on fishing a maggot feeder with dendrobaena on the hook. I was wondering what hook size and hooking technique you guys find most effective with worms? Do you head hook them or side hook them? Nip the tail off? Basically how do you hook yours and any other tips when fishing them.

Size 16 hook to 6 Lb for Tench & size 14 or 12 or 10 to 7, 8 or even 10 Lb (the BS goes up with the hook size on ready tied.) for the Big Boys!!!

Rightly or wrongly?? - I push the Quickstop through the middle. Carp anyway, don't seem to mind.

I often put two worms on especially if they're on the small side - also generates a bit more wriggle.

I sometimes also do a Worm & Corn cocktail - very easy done with a Quickstop.

I'll even load the hook its self with a bunch of Maggots.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Not sure if somehow 2 worms fastened together are aware of each other?? but I kind of think this can help prevent them burrowing into the silt.

Can't see them working as a Team!! :g:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I'd use a 16 or 14 for dendrobaena worms depending on worm size, 12 upwards for lobworms and always hooked through the head to allow maximum wriggleness. Can't offer advice on feeder rigs, I tend not to use them with worms if perch are present because I've found that deep hooking is more likely than with other species. I did try it last year at Wingham with lobworms and kept striking at the merest hint of bobbin movement, perch will either nip at the tail or engulf the entire worm and with a feeder set up I find it difficult to decide what they're doing so I played safe and struck early...missed lots of bites but did eventually catch a 3lb'er.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Cheers guys. I gave the suggestions a go yesterday. It was a tough day with clear water, bright sunshine and heaps of wind. I managed just 5 perch from a reservoir. The hair rigged worm seemed most effective in hooking them. No bream sadly which was the target.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I will be doing a little experimenting with lobs on circle hooks his summer for perch.

I picked up some small Mustad Demons on my travels and intend to just knick them through the side with LOTS of hook exposure.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.