A slow lingering death

ayjay

No, sorry, not me, the Anglers Net Forum.

It's been dying for some time, but now it's become nothing more than a series of political rants, communication by youtube, and personal micturition contests.

It can't go on much longer.

It's not just here. Forums are all slowly fading away. Social media is replacing them. I must extract some of my old India posts before the curtain falls.

Of course the process isn't helped by soapboxing and personal attacks..

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Maybe then the Non Fishing Chat Forum should be dumped - Or at least have a set of stricter rules on how we address one another??

I'm as Guilty as any!!

Maybe make our own Rules - Like the unwritten one of "Conduct Becoming Of A Gentleman" ??

Might be a bit of a Stretch - That one, but something on those Lines??

We need to be nicer to each other!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Maybe then the Non Fishing Chat Forum should be dumped

I've noticed your strange antipathy to the Non-fishing section, but I don't see that as the answer, any good forum has a section not dedicated to its main activity.

AN is already moribund, take away the Non fishing section and it would be dead already.

I've noticed your strange antipathy to the Non-fishing section, but I don't see that as the answer, any good forum has a section not dedicated to its main activity.

AN is already moribund, take away the Non fishing section and it would be dead already.

Very true. Its kinda fun bouncing stuff around with a group of folks who you may never have met but with whom you know you have at least one thing in common.

When the non fishing chat side of the World Sea Fishing site got pretty much shut down because of a couple of out and out racists, it pretty much killed the sites traffic. I maybe go on a couple of times a year now to see how places are fishing or just ask a question.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

It's been dying for some time now. I think the AN post numbers dropped off dramatically around the time of the Brexit referendum. There were some heated arguments around that time, and some took it personally, as did some people nationally.

I also think that the change in angling has contributed to the decline in forums. The few I see that seem to be thriving, are mainly dedicated to the carp puddle/match side of angling. The 'all rounders' are getting fewer in number as we get older, some settle for the easier option, give up, or simply die out. Fewer younger anglers seem interested in expanding their experience, so that again adds to the general decline.

'Social' media sites do seem to be preferred to forums as well, and if you think that ' Conduct becoming of a gentleman' is the criteria for an angling discussion, Martin, then don't go on there. There is no control, and the vitriol spewed out on there makes AN look like an afternoon tea party at the vicarage.

It's a great shame that it's come to this, because I still maintain that AN was the best all round angling site on the net. The wealth of experience on here, was unsurpassed, and all advice given freely. Despite the little spats, we were still a pretty friendly bunch, willing to help each other out where possible. Although my angling sessions have been pretty sparse over the 11+ years I've been a member here, AN has kept me in the angling 'loop' throughout this time, and I like to think that I have made a few friends along the way.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Many of the original posters here were refugees from the Usenet uk.rec.fishing.* groups. Usenet was killed by forums like this. Forums like this are now being killed by Facebook groups. Cycle of digital life.

It's sad to see how few are on here these days. I blame the guardian reading lefties who bullied anyone with accusations of "racist" or "bigot" for questioning and debating anything to do with the impact of mass imigration and the divisive religion of Islam. I won't name names but the bullies are still on here and they know who they are. I know a few regulars as well as myself found it tedious and as such disapeared.

• Like 1

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

It's sad to see how few are on here these days. I blame the guardian reading lefties who bullied anyone with accusations of "racist" or "bigot" for questioning and debating anything to do with the impact of mass imigration and the divisive religion of Islam. I won't name names but the bullies are still on here and they know who they are. I know a few regulars as well as myself found it tedious and as such disapeared.

That will never change Ant !

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

The right dont half waffle on a load of crap either it has to be said. Quite stuborn and pigheaded the right can be imo. If you dont see it their way your branded an idiot too stupid to understand why they think they are right in everything they say.

• Like 2

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk