Where next for Angling Direct?

Peter Waller

Shares can go down as well as up when you Gamble

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I see one of their aims is now to BUY UP Independent tackle shops!!

Why - so they can put their prices up once they've cornered an even bigger market share.

No competition = Charge what ya' Like!!

Maybe not so good for us Anglers then??

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Won't be able to buy 1/2 pint of casters or maggots then - there's little or no money in that, but it's what keeps the regular customers in the locals!!

"Sorry Sir - we only sell Pints"!!!!

Next thing will be B&Q type staff in them who don't know one end of a drill (or float) from the other!!

Edited by Martin56

I see one of their aims is now to BUY UP Independent tackle shops!!

Why - so they can put their prices up once they've cornered an even bigger market share.

No competition = Charge what ya' Like!!

Maybe not so good for us Anglers then??

I can see the 2 main Independents in Leeds - Bobco & Tackle2u as targets - the latter having shops in Outwood, wakefield (a 5 min' bus ride from me) Kirkgate (Leeds) & a Megastore in Bradford.

Hey Ho - That's progress!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the angling direct near me is much better than the local independent. They always have plenty of maggots in stock, the staff are friendly and knowledgeable (mainly about carp fishing admittedly ) and they give a discount if you show a local club book/ticket at the till!

As opposed to my local independent who regularly runs out of maggots, and has let me down twice when I've asked him to order in large (£100+) items of tackle. and seems to make the prices up as he goes along. I've really tried to support him but it's hard going

I drive the extra mile to get to angling direct nowadays. or just shop online

Mat

Mat

Matt, I'd do exactly same as you in your situation mate.

I spend quite a bit in my local shop & it's appreciated & reflected, knowing I'll come back - they always knock a few quid off for me on a decent outlay.

Like a fiver off a £60 Rod. or 3 or 4 quid off a £40 reel.

It's those little touches!!

Edited by Martin56

Thats good unless the rod costs £40 and the reel costs £30 on ebay ! I used to buy via local shop but you would wait 2 weeks now you can get it cheaper quicker directly .

He only stocks second hand and only a few new rods as the shop is tiny so if you know what you want its easier cutting out the middle man.

Another shop a little further away crams his shop with so much gear its a nightmare looking at it ,with only narrow isles your continually moving out the way to let someone past and being a fat chap theres always the danger of knocking stuff over ,i hate it

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson