Poll What's your Regional Preference in your Fish & Chip shops?

Martin56

Cod Or haddock??  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Regional Preference in your Fish & Chip shops??

Haddock is ours - West Yorkshire (specifically Leeds & Wakefied) - fried in Beef Dripping.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I don't fully understand the question, the chippies around here have always had both Cod & Haddock whenever I've been in them,

I'm not sure I can remember one anywhere that didn't, unless you go right out in the sticks somewhere.

I sometimes have Cod and sometimes Haddock - I don't know what makes me choose one over the other at the time.

We always had Rock Salmon when it was wrapped in newspaper. I was a South London boy who had never heard of the lesser spotted dogfish then. Still eat it now

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I don't fully understand the question, the chippies around here have always had both Cod & Haddock whenever I've been in them,

I'm not sure I can remember one anywhere that didn't, unless you go right out in the sticks somewhere.

I sometimes have Cod and sometimes Haddock - I don't know what makes me choose one over the other at the time.

Yes ayjay - there will of course be MANY fish shops which sell both, but was just getting a feel for shops which cater for Regional Preferences.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Savaloy fish for me

I was a london boy as was my dad ,he loved his rock salmon (allways bought on the way home from a millwall game) and his brown shrimps and winkles ,i liked the shrimps but the rock salmon to sweet for me winkles not worth the bother i preffered welks

Theres regional variances i would like to change ,you wont find scots pies anywhere round here i have to import a couple ofdozen or so from scotland every couple of months

If you like welks (or wilks) 5 generation of my family have ate them from chummies folkestone they sell them online but unless they are fresh that day their not the same so i have never bought any this way

I tried a frozen pie and mash 'dinner' from sainsburies it obviously has never see london in its life its nothing like a real one and ofcourse pie and mash shops look like toilets (the few i have been in always had tiles from floor to cieling) so the atmosphere isnt there either lol

It was a few years ago though i last entered one and it was when the original randell and hopkirk was on and i sat besides the living one lol

You can get cod (perhaps basa?) And haddock in the nearest one but they are cooked to order as so many are now so a bit oily for my liking ,having them in the hot cabinate for a couple of hours let the oil out which i liked but very expensive today and to date no-one has invented a odour retentive box so you can take them in the taxi home!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Although I'm partial to a bit of cod, or haddock, with this being the coarse fishing section, I'd have to go for 'other'.

I like both perch and grayling equally, but I would like to see carp on the menu. Not only would it give some variety to our diet, it would also help to reduce their numbers, thus improving the quality of many of our waters.

All we would need is for someone to create a decent recipe to make them more palatable.

It would be 'win, win' in my eyes :thumbs: .

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'd forgotten about "Rock". I wondered what it actually was for a long time without ever bothering to find out, but it was probably the norm in our local chippy in Crouch End when I was a nipper.

When getting F&C near to my Grandad's in the more upmarket Friern Barnet it was always Cod (and I can still remember that chips were 4d a bag).

I'd still buy a Sav now and again if they were any good but they just don't look very appetising nowadays, and the last one I had some years ago was nowt like a decent Sav.

I'd thought that my nearest Pie & Mash shop (at that time) which was in Holloway Road had actually gone, but a google search turned up Piebury Corner, which still sells pies & mash but doesn't seem to be a dedicated Pie & Mash shop, more of a Pie boutique.