Poll What's your Regional Preference in your Fish & Chip shops?

Martin56

Cod Or haddock??  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Regional Preference in your Fish & Chip shops??

We had a pickled egg or a wally if we were feeling flush

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I don't eat fish, which seems to amaze non-anglers. You fish and you don't even eat them.

So for me, it would be.

Sausage in Batter

Cornish Pasty

Sausage Roll

• Like 1

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Rock salmon - or in the more truthful chippies, "huss" - was commonplace from WWII until about 1970. I rarely see it offered nowadays.

Rock salmon (aka "flake") was also a term used by the back street chippies to cover lesser spotted dogs, greater spotted dogs, spurdogs, smooth houind, tope and anything of the same shape - depending upon age it was either too sweet or else diabolical (I mean ammoniacal)

Like Ajay, I find any decent chippie these days offers both cod and haddock I too don't know which I like best

Some of the "upper class" chippies in the Southeast also offer "Plaice and chips" for those that think cod is too proletarian - it is a good way of disposing of witches, megrims, flounders etc to the ignorant at a premium price.

"Skate and chips" is now rare - fine if its thornback, less so if its a lump of common skate - both on gastronomic and on conservation grounds.

Last time I was in Brixham one desperate sea-front chippie was offering "sustainable" pollack and pout to the gullible. Well the pout is certainly sustainable as far as I am concerned - the old fishermen who called them "stink-alive" certainly had a point - they begin to rot the moment they leave the water. Grilled instantly on the beach seconds after catching, they are not too bad, but any delay via wholesaler and fishmonger - ugh !!

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Slightly off topic, but I can remember our first Mexican Holiday in Puerto Vallarta. It was the year Leeds United were in the Champions League semi final v Valencia.

Wife & I made friends with 3 other couples & it was decided that the lads would go to a bar to watch the match & the girls spend the day around the hotel pool.

Well Hammered after beer & Tequila slammers, we decided to walk back to our hotel along the beach, whereupon I found a Shovel nosed Ray about 4 foot long (a skates head with a shark's body) On closer inspection I could see its gills still working, so I picked it up in my arms & walked it back into the water. :showoff: After a couple of minutes, it started to kick & back he went.

The lads said - what were you doing!!!! Didn't you hear the locals behind you shouting "No Senor No" - They'ed caught it for their Tea. :bb:

"Don't Butter Any More Bread - He's put it Back"!!

Looks like they'll be opening a tin of beans instead then was my reply.

At least I did my bit for conservation then :fish:

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I used to love Rock n chips but haven't seen any chip shops selling it for years.

My favourite now is Cod and chips although I occasionally have haddock.

There's a brilliant five star chip shop at Brightlingsea just south of Clacton that sells huge pieces of cod and also haddock and Skate that is bigger than a large plate and hangs over the edges of the plate, and that's just a medium piece, the shop is always full no matter what day of the week it is (even on a sunday) and even it's chips are to die for.

I'm surprised that some of you northerners haven't mentioned 'Battered Mars Bars' yet; a delicacy that we southerners are yet to experience Lol..

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Battered Mars Bars are not that popular in the North of England Keith, but in Scotland I believe they're One of their "5 A Day". :bigemo_harabe_net-193:

• Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Battered Mars Bars are not that popular in the North of England Keith, but in Scotland I believe they're One of their "5 A Day". :bigemo_harabe_net-193:

never eatin one myself, never seen anyone eating one, never even heard anyone ordering one. never even seen one on the menu. It's only you English that try it and the daft tourists that dont know any better :crazy:

• Like 1

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Two a day your forgetting the grain in the batter

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Two a day your forgetting the grain in the batter

... or three if you put some malt vinegar on the chips. Finish off with a cup of tea and a fag and that's your five sorted :)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...