Slooooow PC

Sportsman

I have a PC, currently running Win 7, 64 bit that should not be slow. It has twin Intel xeon CPUs and 12Gb Ram and an SSD hard drive.

In the past it has been extremely quick but in the last month or two it has started to falter or almost seize up when performing tasks that should be very easy. Sometimes, just opening programs can take 20-30 seconds when it used to be instantaneous.

It is not happening all the time, but when it does happen, it seems to be connected to the fans speeding up and getting noisier.

Also, sometimes when it goes to sleep it won't wake up, so I have to switch it off and then re-boot

The question is, is it likely to be hardware or software? I can get another PC but would like to use the SSD from this one, so would I just be transferring the problem?

If it is software, is there anything I can do about it.

Thanks again

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Try running advanced system care on it ,besides the inspection of your pc theres also a bit on the desktop that shows whats hogging the disk or cpu

Another bit of software is glary utilities ,within that theres a bit that trundles through windows looking for corrupted files although you can do that by running sfc /scannow at a command box or in run if your able to see it

The other problem could be malware so run a full scan using a malware catcher

On the hardware side the cpu could be roasting check its radiator below its fan isnt blocked with dust especially if you have pets ,a regular pc dusting is a good thing

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1

I ran advanced system care and what a difference it has made.

I suspected that the system was full of crud, but I had no idea how much.

Many thanks for your advice, I have my computer back.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Chesters1

I ran advanced system care and what a difference it has made.

I suspected that the system was full of crud, but I had no idea how much.

Many thanks for your advice, I have my computer back.

Worth purchasing the full version and it does it in the background

The only bit i dont let it do is clean cookies and history or i am reaching for my password book every five minutes ,enable the 'pro' bits in the settings ,i also untick all the notifications they distract me

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson