Legal Obligations of Motorcycle Retail Outlets.

Good morning all.

I am seeking advice from anyone who has an understanding the obligations of UK dealerships that sell Motorcycles/Mopeds.

I purchased for my Son a Lexmoto 50cc Echo Moped and it was delivered on the 2nd August.

He has had the Moped for 2 days and yesterday there happened a malfunction that caused the throttle to open wide causing the Moped to shoot forwards, throwing my son who was not prepared for the failure.

Two independent witnesses have categorically stated that my Son was not speeding nor riding recklessly; he was riding to the top of a car park to park up his Moped.

My Son was experiencing occasional starting issues which the dealership put down as a running in problem, which if not resolved within 14 days they would remedy.

Can I demand a replacement machine because neither I nor my Son are comfortable with the Moped.

Thank you in advance.

It's not a motor cycle problem, it comes under the Sale of Goods act. Take it back and demand a repair or replacement. Sounds like a throttle linkage or carburettor problem

• Like 1

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I nearly killed my daughter repairing hers.

It had running problems so i cleaned out the carb ,on getting home she informed me all was ok until she opened up the throttle on the hill up to her house and it got stuck wide open ,luckily she used the kill switch and it stopped.

On examination i couldn't see anything wrong checked several times then opened it up fully with the back wheel off the ground ,the damned thing remained fully open and closing the throttle did nothing.

On really close inspection as the cam on the carb opened all was well until the very top when it hit the clamp holding the carb on and stayed there!

Moving the clamp 1/4" solved the problem ,i had tightened it in the easiest position to see and use a screwdriver ofcourse in the confined space and mirriad of pipes and wires these new fangled bikes appear to need

Generally fit for purpose is the part to use

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

My advise to anyone thinking of buying a bike/scooter is if it hasnt got a dedicated haynes manual to the model think twice ,my daughters first chinese tat had 7 versions of CDI that was used in its short life of production and the wiring loom changed twice from front to back

Her old but easier to fix piaggio is lovely to work on and you can buy spare parts for it and they fit!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thank you both. The seller has arranged a mechanic to come to my home address to fully investigate the Moped and to replace all damaged parts. The link to the Consumer rights act was priceless and thank you for that.

As I have only had the Moped for 2 days there are still 4 weeks left to be certain repairs are successful.

Good news and tell your son besides using his mirrors an over the shoulder glance can save his life as can decent clothing ,i look with horror idiots riding in shorts and t shirts ,even a bog standard jacket can get you a bounce or two on the tarmac saving skin and set of padded coat and trews a lot more!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Good news and tell your son besides using his mirrors an over the shoulder glance can save his life as can decent clothing ,i look with horror idiots riding in shorts and t shirts ,even a bog standard jacket can get you a bounce or two on the tarmac saving skin and set of padded coat and trews a lot more!

Also NEVER Adorn crash helmets with any additional stickers or paint - they can/will seriously compromise the Integrity of the helmet's micro surface structure - the primary head protection!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Also NEVER Adorn crash helmets with any additional stickers or paint - they can/will seriously compromise the Integrity of the helmet's micro surface structure - the primary head protection!!

Could well make the difference between just a really bad headache, or - A Really Bad Day!!

Edited by Martin56

Unless you go to france

http://www.drive-france.com/products/motorcycling-france-helmet-stickers/

Having reflectors everywhere looks fine but i was knocked off my bike that had lots wearing a flouro orange coat!

Chap was fined £10 for defective eyesight ,£10 no insurance ,£50 for DWDC ! ,no claims pelple then!

Edited by chesters1

1) It depends on the adhesive used on the sticker.

2) Crash helmets made from GRP do not suffer from this, only the cheaper polycarbonate helmets are at risk.

3) I suspect the stickers in chesters links are designed to be used on crash helmets and would be fine on GRP or polycarbonate.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

2) Crash helmets made from GRP do not suffer from this, only the cheaper polycarbonate helmets are at risk.

If you only have a TEN BOB Head - You only need a TEN BOB Helmet!! :blink:

Edited by Martin56