Internet speeds

Sportsman

We have recently moved and now I have to use wifi for my internet connection.

I currently use an Edimax N150 USB adapter.

There are two other PCs and a phone connecting to the Livebox in the house.

We live in the country so probably quite a distance from the nearest exchange.

My speeds seem to be below average at

Ping 28ms

Download 5.8Mbps

Upload 0.87Mbps

My wife's speeds are the same, but she also uses a USB wifi adapter similar to mine.

Would you be likely to improve things with a better adapter or is it just the supply?

Thanks

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Can you plug in directly to your modem, or whatever sits between the incoming cable and the wireless router. A speedest there will show you the incoming speed. Also talk to the suppliers and or neighbours to find out the local speed. A wireless router cannot speed up the incoming signal. You can try different times of day to see if that makes a difference

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

sportsman,

The best way to find out your Internet speed is to use a speed test website. Ookla is a reliable website to test your home’s Internet speed. Spend a few seconds performing the test and get accurate results almost instantly.

Phone

We have recently moved and now I have to use wifi for my internet connection.

I currently use an Edimax N150 USB adapter.

There are two other PCs and a phone connecting to the Livebox in the house.

We live in the country so probably quite a distance from the nearest exchange.

My speeds seem to be below average at

Ping 28ms

Download 5.8Mbps

Upload 0.87Mbps

My wife's speeds are the same, but she also uses a USB wifi adapter similar to mine.

Would you be likely to improve things with a better adapter or is it just the supply?

Thanks

Blimey thats fast lol ,i live a mere 35? Miles from the capital and mine rarely gets above 2mbs the nearest fibre box is 900 yards away but for some reason in the 21st century the last 100 is by overhead wire despite the newer houses further along getting 6mbs from underground cables ,not worth bt's time joining ours to theirs a mere 30ft but we pay the same for it!

My speed is actually garaunteed a minimum of 5mbs but 'connections' (lovely get out clause) will get around the promise as it states in the small print

Fed up with talking to idiot indians ticking boxes and more fed up with idiot indian 'managers' ticking the same ones and idiot indian 'tecnicians' doing the same then insisting all will be fixed the next day by some sort of idiot indian magic!

Cannot remember how many times i have repeated how can you phone me if you insist the only thing in the master socket is the hub!,if i take it out and plug the phone in you have no connection to the very thing you tell me to plug in by itself ! And YES i have removed the faceplate frickin idiot indians

One time i phoned up to complain the line was very quiet and the tosspot asked me to speak up because the line was quiet !then asked what the problem was

The line test ok he quietly whispered ,i shall not repeat what i shouted (in order for him to hear it plainly) 3 days later i frogmarched the engineer to the pole 100 yards away (our wire is unsupported for 90 yards over a field) and pointed to a bundle of wires at the top of the pole spilling out a junction box ,the problems there mate it always is! And it was

I wish i could be connected to the old guys pole 2 doors away ,he gets 4mbs but his wire comes from a road at the back ,trouble is his pole was erected in 1957 and for 'elf and saftee' no engineer will climb it ,in 1957 the houses at the rear werent there so theres a pole in the junction of 3 gardens and no access to the machine that uprootes them and puts in a new one so eventually it will fall down and more connections to the pole that serves my pole

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey thats fast lol ,i live a mere 35? Miles from the capital and mine rarely gets above 2mbs the nearest fibre box is 900 yards away but for some reason in the 21st century the last 100 is by overhead wire despite the newer houses further along getting 6mbs from underground cables ,not worth bt's time joining ours to theirs a mere 30ft but we pay the same for it!e houses at the rear werent there so theres a pole in the junction of 3 gardens and no access to the machine that uprootes them and puts in a new one so eventually it will fall down and more connections to the pole that serves my pole

Not really that fast. He lives in France remember. Just because he lives in the sticks does not mean the digital stone age. A lot of Froggies get there TV over DSL too. Does the wife know about the Pole that serves your pole ;-)

Sportsman

Have you tried sticking a bit of copper up your Livebox's jacksie? That will give you the best possible connection and you can then use that speed as a base line.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote