Internet line strength/lag

My internet connection is very variable. I play chess on the web. Sometimes it says excellent connection, low lag. Other times it says poor connection with a big lag, and then I often lose cos my moves don't get to the server! It can vary even within a minute..

I don't know if this is the same thing as line speed. I read the recent thread on this, and logged onto Ookla. It said I had a Ping of 28ms and download speed of 1.11 Mbps, though I don't know the significance of these. I think this was when the lag was low, so it's probably a lot slower at times.

Any advice would be welcome.

john clarke

You need to do regular speed checks to get a picture. Your download speed is criminally slow. I average between 60-70 Mbps. You also need to check the upload speed if you are playing chess as the moves will need to be uploaded. What speed does your supplier say you are paying for

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

A chess game doesnt seem to be a very demanding game with regards to connection speed. Id say 1mps with a latency of 28ms would be plenty. used to play call of duty with ~20 people on 512k (cutting edge at time) with 30ms latency. Even hosted games ourselves!

It could just be the server is running slow not you flyin tench.

There is another posibility. Cheating bastards. Trick called a lag switch. Ive never looked in to how to do it, methods probably vary, but its to purposfuly lag you out to make you lose.

On a shoot'em up everything lags out people warping about all over the place but the perpetrator is fine and has a big advantage.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Thanks. I did another Ookla test. The results were Ping 29ms, download 1.38Mbps, upload 0.76Mbps. Ookla say I can download a program which will enable me to see if my Windows 10 settings are a cause of the problem. Should I try this? I'm a bit wary for some reason.

A key factor for me is that, according to the line strength/lag messages from the chess programme, it's so variable. Does this give any clues as to the problem?

Oh, and apologies for a rather basic question. I have a very standard package from EE. How do I find out what speed I'm paying for?

Edited by The Flying Tench

john clarke

If broadband is always going to be slow via your telephone line do a Google search for radio broadband in your area. This comes via a radio mast instead and for us has made a big difference.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net