hybrids

The Flying Tench

Nice looking fish though. Head seems more pointed than the carp . I did catch what could have been a common carp / crucian carp cross many years ago, more rotund than that one

At a glance some seem to be what they appear to be , it's only on closer inspection you notice the differences . I thought mine was just a chub initially but something about the head and body shape was not quite right . I' don't come across many hybrids due to the fishing I do most of the time so am not adept at spotting some more subtle examples .

Just noticed this topic , Anyone know what this is ?

26285799299_07c50b6a07_m.jpg

From what I'm seeing in the photo' - mouth looks upturned so could be Roach/Rudd cross??

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Rich,

While the fish I posted is a verified hybrid I'm not sure it is the same as your fish. Your fish has, what appears to be the more silver shine of a salmon/? It is impossible the do any "technical" evaluation because of the picture size. (Scale count; rays in the dorsal - that sort of thing.

Phone

Just noticed this topic , Anyone know what this is ?

26285799299_07c50b6a07_m.jpg

If it's a hybrid then roach x chub but there's precious little detail (fin ray counts, scale counts) that can be ascertained from the photo. It could just be a chub. For reasons unknown roach x chub are comparatively common in the river Ribble.

It was caught in quite turbulent water on the Rother (Yorks) . Hopefully this is a better photo size . Also a similar sized proper chub held in similar pose. Most noticeable is the head shape eye position and deeper curve of the back more like a roach . Something I never noticed at the time of capture, was the small red appendage which almost looks like an adipose fin but may be a cist of some sort . It's on the fish and not background because there's another shot looking downstream and it's on that as well .

26285799299_0d675b425d_b.jpg

27272761319_9f20dfa859_z.jpg

Edited by Rich_

Rich,

Beautiful pictures - as for a determination - from what I can tell - same fish - perhaps different sex - photos taken different time of the year - etc. But for sure not salmon (ha ha).

Phone

I do see the differences in the head you mention. I think maybe you are just "reaching" (?)

Maybe even some sort of genetic anomaly ? Had hundreds of chub and roach over the years and you identify them at a glance usually despite there sometimes being a difference in the brightness of the fins and body due to the environment . This is the only one of either species I've had which looked not quite right ?

Looks like the almost certain roach x chub or chub x roach hybrids we regularly see on the Ribble. Isolated examples are known from other rivers, will be interesting to see if they start to show up with more frequency anywhere else.

The red mark could be an infected cormorant mark, something viral like lymphocystis or have various other causes.

Edited by Latimeria
  • Like 1

Interesting , until I caught that and did a bit of reading I wasn't sure how common these two species crossed . I knew the red lesion near the tail would be some kind of growth , just that i never noticed it until i saw the photo .