Least favourite fishing month?

Steve Burke

That great angling writer, William Caine had the answer.....

".....November - I stay in town, December - I stay indoors, January - I stay in bed"

I guess he didn't have much time for Chub then? Cold January days just scream Chub and cheesepaste to me.

I don't think Ican nominate a least favourite month, I don't like fishing in foggy weather, never had much success then, (if any) but any other time can be good for something.

Don’t think I have a least favourite fishing month, it all depends on the weather and that seems so unpredictable these days. Years ago I guess December/January would be the times I would be least likely to go out but that’s no longer the case with our milder winters.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

As Im getting older it's any month from December to February where the temperatures drop to less than 5 degrees accompanied by a biting northerly wind.

I can deal with cold temperatures as long as it isn't accompanied by a freezing cold wind; otherwise my hands and fingers go all stiff and cramped.

When I was younger it didn't matter how cold and windy it got but alas as I get older if there's a freezing cold wind I stay at home in the warmth.

Having said that my most unproductive month as fas as fish are concerned over the years is probably January.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I like late March and early April. It's one of the best periods for perch. There's less natural food about and the perch are feeding up ready for spawning, that's typical late April at Wingham.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve the funny thing is, as a River fisherman I have always loved the winter months,but, must say for me January is the most dreadful of all. :)

May bank holiday is pretty good. :)

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.