Wifi conundrum

wotnobivvy

I run a Netgear WNR2200 wireless router and a number of devices connect to it with no problem (TV desktop, Kindle and smartphones) However my laptop connects ok and then randomly decides that there is no network connection. Other devices are still connected. The laptop normally stays in the room directly below the router and is really the closest of all devices. I have to reboot the router so it can connect, which can annoy other people. I have tried rebooting the laptop, and reconnecting to the router via the software but the only thing that works is the router off/on.

Funnily enough it died last night, so I touched nothing except powering off the laptop, and this morning when I powered the laptop on it found the router, although the router had been switched on all night

Any ideas folks

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

• 3 weeks later...

How many devices in total connect to your router?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

wotnob,

I don't know the technical stuff - BUT - in the lower right corner I have to click on the little tv screen icon and be sure all the devices are "connected" and/or "secured". Otherwise I have the same as you. It flops around on my laptop.

Phone

Connected devices ( not all at the same time ) are desktop, laptop, tv, google home, kindle, phone. Most of the time it is either desktop or laptop. The other devices are ad hoc. It is only the lapop that seems to have the problem

Phone:- I do all that to no avail

Perhaps the internal card needs wiggling? Often under a flap but often not.

Your other option is a USB wireless dongle ,they are the size of mouse dongles now so can be left in permanently

The woman down the roads machine had similar problems ,it connected to my hub fine but not hers ,I did a bit of googling and found a page with steps to flush some setting or other and cured it

Cannot remember where though ,I stumbled across a similar function as a wizard in win10 but hidden away so no clue how to retrace my steps

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Download this document and read the bit about DHCP Server. What is your DHCP Range?

What OS is your laptop running and what software? "I have tried rebooting the laptop, and reconnecting to the router via the software but the only thing that works is the router off/on."

Nothing should be "ad hoc".

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

The laptop is running win10 with all the latest patches, as is the desktop. The software I mentioned is the Win10 settings screen. No 3rd party software is involved

Didn't see the link you mentioned

The laptop is running win10 with all the latest patches, as is the desktop. The software I mentioned is the Win10 settings screen. No 3rd party software is involved

Didn't see the link you mentioned

Sorry buddy.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/WNR2200/Documentation/UM/WNR2200_UM_29SEPT2010.pdf