Ashes Tour

Rusty

Who do you think is on top after day one? England on 196-4 which is pretty respectable but with both Cook and Root back in the pavilion I’d give the day to Australia. Had either of them still been at the crease then I think that England may have shaded it but as it is the potential for the Aussies to rip through the England middle order with a new ball on day two is worrying. I reckon we'll get to about 250.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Oh ye of little faith :D

I think it's very evenly poised, and with Malan, Ali, and Bairstow still to go, I think 300 to 350 is 'gettable'.

The Aussies haven't lost there since the 80s so an England win is a tall order, but I think it will be a close match.

John (ever the optimist)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• 2 weeks later...

There has been too much press hype. We have , in the absence of Stokes, only two Test-class batsmen (The Aussies have three) Our two senior fast bowlers have their best years behind them, All of our fast bowlers have bowled too short a length so far. The Aussie off-spinner is better than ours, We have no serious second spin bowler. Only at wicket-keeper can we claim parity.

We need three miracles, but are more likely to have to face reality. Nevertheless I will be supporting our team win or lose.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

we'll win

Don't be too sure of that Fred. 177 is achievable, all it needs is for our lot to keep their heads.

Root to add another ton to his 67, while Woakes, Ali, and Bairstow, stay around to do the rest.

(it's bloody hard typing with my fingers crossed)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Nicely poised for the last day, too unpredictable to call this one!

I'd feel a little more comfortable if we hadn't lost the 4th wicket just before the end, but who knows? Couple of heroes in the tail end and we just might pull it off.

Our chief weapon is surprise

Its far easier to lose than to win ,we maybe not good enough to win but Australia could lose by mistake

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I don't follow cricket as closely as I used to, but at one time I used to go to both Lords and The Oval to watch Test matches.

One thing I don't understand is where Alastair Cook has got all his test runs from, whenever we need runs from him he gets out cheaply, he's definitely been worse than useless so far in this tour.

I don't see us saving this one, but there's a couple of useful run scorers still to come, so you never know.