Spinning for estuarine sea trout?

Steve Walker

Yes, that's a chunky looking lure, a lot heavier than I tend to use for rivers that size! It's still only 1/2 oz, though, not sure how far across a 200m wide river I could chuck that?

ABU Droppen is also available in 4, 6 & 8g.

Pound shops sometimes do a card full of 8 or 10 Bodied blade type spinners - "Guess how much they Cost" Lol.

Trebles an' all. Not unlike the Droppen. No reason at all they wouldn't catch!!

Could afford to lose them all in a single session at that price. 10 - 12 p each.

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Yeah, those little blade spinners are good, I use them on the upper Thames sometimes.

They would work for flatties, no doubt, and also bass.

But I think the scale of the river here and the fact that I would be targeting sea trout moving through in the main channel, not fish foraging in the margins, makes me think that I would probably want a lure more in the 30g-60g category. The river is about 200m across at high tide!

Drone footage of the location here

Edited by Steve Walker

Yeah, those little blade spinners are good, I use them on the upper Thames somewhere.

They would work for flatties, no doubt, and also bass.

But I think the scale of the river here and the fact that I would be targeting sea trout moving through in the main channel, not fish foraging in the margins, makes me think that I would probably wanYuot a lure more in the 30g-60g category. The river is about 200m across at high tide!

Drone footage of the location here

You could google "The Flying Condom" (The Flying "C" to keep it clean) A heavy Lure for Salmon & Trout as I remember from a TV Prog' a few years ago.

Can't remember the guy who presented it!!

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Steve,

Is this the critter?

SeatroutSpottedDRP.jpg

Spotted Seatrout: Cynoscion nebulosus

My "go to" for these fish was a Rapala "Super Duper" (available in several weights). But more important The St James river in Florida is where I learned to use ICE CUBES (with a hole in the center) for casting weight. However, in my wildest imagination 200 meters was out of the question. Not sure I can even shout that distance.

Phone

SeatroutSpottedDRP.jpg

Spotted Seatrout: Cynoscion nebulosus

As John says, they are ordinary brown trout which have taken it upon themselves to head out to sea and stuff themselves silly with prawns and fry before returning to the river to spawn.

All,

OK, It's not the same fish. In fact, I believe "Brown Trout" are non-indigenous to North America. They are an invasive species and a threat to our native trout.

However, my fishing strategy suggestions remain the same.

Phone