Spinning for estuarine sea trout?

Steve Walker

There's a reminder of how dangerous the river there can be in the pub car park - scroll to the bottom!

http://www.shardriversideinn.co.uk/a-walk-thought-history/

Blimey but OK for a doggy paddle ,if there's a bit of gravel in the river about near the toll bridge it maybe worth getting permission from the land owner to detect ,most crossings have been used since roman times and romans placated their river god by throwing in an offering ,its called dirt fishing and is almost as good as angling except there's more digging
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I am going to get a fishing kayak, but I don't think I will be going out on the estuary with it.

I wouldn't go anywhere on a tidal river with one! A little rib with an outboard far safer as long as you don't stub out your fag on the tube (experience there)

I remember my mate in our dingy throttle wide open going backwards at mudeford no oar on earth would have helped

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

No, planning to use it in calm seas off the beach and in the Lake District lakes.

What with that river just out of the window I couldn't resist its bad enough we used to tow our boat from Farnham to Pompey to get water deep enough to float it lol

We used airbeds at first ,two roped on top of each other (we both had the same !none of that boy on boy hanky panky then) and all the kit went in my sidecar ,then inflatables (4 man things) then we made the mistake of buying a fiberglass dingy and trailer (towed by my reliant regal ,we were buggers even then) and it went downhill from there bigger boats and realised the fun had gone with the effort between getting it off the trailer and getting it back home after a few hours fishing ,we did moor it but that's very expensive even on the cheapest mooring so we flogged it ,we could have filled the freezer with what went in the outboard never mind the land rover towing it

You on the other hand could almost build a slipway to the river and your Mrs could run up a flag telling you dinner was on the table

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Next door neighbour has a jetty, though she didn't realise when she had it built that we don't own the land between the gardens and the river. Also, her sailing days are now behind her. But would want a powered boat on the estuary. Maybe that's a future project, though my understanding of boats is that they are all basically money pits.

There's nothing stopping you putting a motor on a kayak.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Seen it done, but I think I would want a proper stable boat if I were going down that route. The attraction of a kayak is simplicity (and exercise) the worry about the estuary is mostly death.

I wouldn't go anywhere on a tidal river with one! A little rib with an outboard far safer as long as you don't stub out your fag on the tube (experience there)

I remember my mate in our dingy throttle wide open going backwards at mudeford no oar on earth would have helped

oar !! - maybe one of Wayne Rooney's Old Oars might have made one in!!! :wheelchair:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!