Oh, the weather outside is frightful

Ken L

It was merely a passing comment Ken. Like I said - by a mate at the bus stop!!!

I've tried watching Terry Pratchett's stuff, but none appeals.(money must have though for David Jason!)

Funny how authors change the language though - the bard was a devil for it.

Pratchett's TV adaptations don't really work and even the first couple of books in the Diskworld series are a bit iffy but once he got on a roll, his stuff was very good.

Anyway, back to the weather. My local weather station is currently showing 0 degrees but he one just down the road is showing -3.4.

I suspect that the local one is insulated by the white stuff.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

-2.5 here being in a valley the cold stays

Nice an sunny though so the house number light should recharge ,its the only frickin light in the street ,you often see on the camera cars stopping outside then going on or reversing once they spot it.

Best thing I have bought off ebay! There's no excuse for parcels not to arrive in winter

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

1.6 now ,hopefully the ground isn't frozen still but nice bright sun ,I sharpened my digger just in case

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Never knew this was Pratchett's material, was just something a workmate came out with at the bus stop years ago.

Must agree here, I heard the expression (from a Peak District lass) back in the 1950s - some years before Pratchett began to write.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Must agree here, I heard the expression (from a Peak District lass) back in the 1950s - some years before Pratchett began to write.

I've heard this saying since I was a kid back in the 1950s,so it looks like Pratchett must have heard it and thought it sounded good, and used it later in life. Authors do draw from life experiences.

​Back to the weather. It's about -2 here, and cloudy. It's forecast heavy snow for tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came earlier. Yesterday, the car thermometer read -2, six miles away in Leeds centre it read +1, mind you it's all down hill into Leeds centre,(in more ways than one), so it's about 150ft lower.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've always heard it attributed to Norfolk; and it's correct. When the wind comes in from the East there it really does go through you.

As a Norfolkman I can say I never heard the expression until I met my late 1st wife in 1950 - as I said, a Peak District lass. but of course you are right about the wind itself - a north wind at Cromer comes straight (apart from the Earth's curvature) from the polar ice cap with nothing but open sea in between. if the wind veers a bit to NNE. you come under the comparative shelter of Spitzbergen !

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

As a Norfolkman I can say I never heard the expression until I met my late 1st wife in 1950 - as I said, a Peak District lass. but of course you are right about the wind itself - a north wind at Cromer comes straight (apart from the Earth's curvature) from the polar ice cap with nothing but open sea in between. if the wind veers a bit to NNE. you come under the comparative shelter of Spitzbergen !

The earth has a curve!

I remember getting off the bus when we joined my parents up at whitley bay and felt the wind come off the north sea for the first time and that was cold!

Strangely from then on it never really felt that cold up there so it must have been the shock having coached all the way up then a bus so that was the first bit of air .

Worse was the shock of hot air getting off the plane at nice ,it never got better! Why do people live in countries where you have to put shoes on to walk from the beach to a toilet 20 feet away!!!!

Edited by chesters1