Lay Flat Rod Holdall - use of tube consensus

barbelbarmy

Hi,

Merry Christmas Everyone. Hope your all having a great day

I had a quick question which was really looking for a consensus of opinion. Got a Hardy Conquest lay flat rod holdall for Christmas and the Velcro straps are too short for the rod tubes. Just wondered if most anglers use the tubes or just had the rods inn their bags. My uncle never used tubes and this case seems well padded but would bend.

Adrian.

Hi,

Merry Christmas Everyone. Hope your all having a great day

I had a quick question which was really looking for a consensus of opinion. Got a Hardy Conquest lay flat rod holdall for Christmas and the Velcro straps are too short for the rod tubes. Just wondered if most anglers use the tubes or just had the rods inn their bags. My uncle never used tubes and this case seems well padded but would bend.

Adrian.

OK so extend the straps with some 1 inch or so wide elastic inbetween from a dress making shop??

A bit of cutting & sewing needed - job done!!!

Surely even just a mere man could do this one?? if not - get a "Grown Up" (the wife) to help . :rolleyes:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Barbel,

Y E S

Here's the difference of opinion that keeps this much loved forum alive!!

NO !!

I only keep my poles & top kits in tubes - the Rods are well enough protected in rod bags!! (In the holdall)

It's just down to personal preference - nothing's carved in stone.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Barbel,

Martin may be right. It's just that I wonder why holdall's are made to hold "rod tubes". And since they are not necessary, unless you value you rods, why in the world would there be 86,243 different rod tubes on the internet for sale. Everything from brass to PVC pipe.

Now I have to say, Martin and I are in agreement if your rods are all E-Glass or some other form of fiberglass. However, if you've come into the 21st century and have carbon fiber technology or higher rods why would anyone go with "protected well enough" when you have the "protected" application available. You might get along fine with nothing at all if Martin's logic holds water.

Phone

I can't find a link to your holdall Bb, is it anything like this one?

I hadn't heard of a 'layflat' and assumed it was like the old roll-up type. I'm old fashioned and don't usually carry my rods made up. I always use tubes in my holdalls, I've seen too many guides get damaged, and carbon cracked in transit for me not to. I stress that my holdalls don't have the padding that the one in my link seems to have.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John