Thunderbird bin

The Flying Tench

I've had a problem losing emails from the 'deleted' folder in Mozilla Thunderbird. The last thing that has happened is the deleted folder is completely empty but I see a couple of months' ones are in the 'bin' - which I assume means they will only keep them a couple of moths as the rest have disappeared.

Is there anything I can do to keep them longer?

john clarke

Probably no need to worry just go to your broadband supplier and look at your mail there.

Make sure in thunderbirds settings delete on server when deleted in thunderbird (words to that effect) isnt ticked and if you accidentally delete something its sitting in the suppliers mail page

Cant really advise more i dont use thunderbird on my android tablet its only used on my pc.

Theres also confusion over pop and err the other one ,one just downloads a copy but retains all mail on the server the other downloads it completely.

A knowledgeable person will be along presently lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Try making a new folder and drag them into it Mr Rench.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

A knowledgeable person will be along presently lol.

Not me! Just my best guess. My copatriot may know more

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

If the account has been setup on thunderbird as IMAP (i suspect it is) then changes in thunderbird will take effect on the mail server (deleting and sent items take effect on server too). Each mail provider have different policies/rules/etc for handling 'deleted' emails. What you want to do is set it up as a POP3 account.

If its POP3 already, go to account settings in thunderbird (under tools i believe) and look for settings relating to trash/deleted you want to uncheck the likes of "delete trash on exit" and "delete from server after x days/months" or something to that effect.

Setting it as pop3 will not show any sent emails or ones marked as important if you login to webmail to check emails too. Its all downloaded locally so no changes made on server.

Alternativley to keep it as IMAP and benefit from its features then set up a new folder/category on thunderbird call it archived or bin or something unique and just move unwanted emails to there till you decide to delete yourself.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

If the account has been setup on thunderbird as IMAP (i suspect it is) then changes in thunderbird will take effect on the mail server (deleting and sent items take effect on server too). Each mail provider have different policies/rules/etc for handling 'deleted' emails. What you want to do is set it up as a POP3 account.

If its POP3 already, go to account settings in thunderbird (under tools i believe) and look for settings relating to trash/deleted you want to uncheck the likes of "delete trash on exit" and "delete from server after x days/months" or something to that effect.

Setting it as pop3 will not show any sent emails or ones marked as important if you login to webmail to check emails too. Its all downloaded locally so no changes made on server.

Alternativley to keep it as IMAP and benefit from its features then set up a new folder/category on thunderbird call it archived or bin or something unique and just move unwanted emails to there till you decide to delete yourself.

I knew you would know more than me. I've not used TBird for yonks.

Now you mention it so am i

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 3 weeks later...

Andy, thanks for this. You posted this ages ago, and apologies for the long delay. My limited computer brain has only just started to take in what you were saying.

Yes, my Thunderbird server setting on my current gmail email address is imap.gmail.com. On the old freeserve address is was pop.orange.net. It worked fine on that, but then it also worked fine on the imap one for quite a few months. As I understand it the setting is that deleted emails are meant to go to a deleted folder, but recently they have gone to 'bin'.

I'm not sure how I would change to pop3. Would I just type something in the setting for 'server'? But I'm a bit scared that I would mess the whole thing up! Any further advice from you if you read this, or anyone else, would be appreciated.

john clarke