So - How much would Armed US Teachers want Paying?

Martin56

My View is that it is a gun problem that the USA will never be able to overcome.

After 200 years of their gun culture,even if they tomorrow tried to control guns, all that would happen is the law abiding owners would be controlled and the illegal owners would go about their daily activities just as before.

We, The UK have tried this after Dunblane and Hungerford, I cannot remember which and all that happened is that sporting owners of firearms ( handheld) now cannot hold them. This has made no difference to the crime level and will not.

Multiply this problem 10,000 times for the USA and there you have an insurmountable situation.

Agree hasn't made a difference in gangsta types shooting each other or in other crime ,made a mahoosive difference in legally held guns shooting school kids or peeps walking down a high street though ...like say Hungerford

I worked with Michael Ryan a year or so before he went onto his rampage ...oddball loner who wouldn't say boo to a goose ..well unless he had his trusty AK 47 with him

I believe the Dunblane fella was of the same make up, sneeze in the wrong direction and loose your licence in my book having seen the makeup of many licence holders in my rural area

I know peeps bring out the he could have killed loads with a knife ,well I reckon a random labourer or scaffolder would of battered Ryan in the high street before he had a chance to post a Cricket score

I suppose after taking a breath [Hungerford or Ryan mentioned does that to me ] our gun laws after those work I mean who needs a 9mm handgun or AK 47 at hoe for sporting purposes

America is ****ed for sure Google Jim Jeffries gun control vid if you haven't seen it

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

My View is that it is a gun problem that the USA will never be able to overcome.

After 200 years of their gun culture,even if they tomorrow tried to control guns, all that would happen is the law abiding owners would be controlled and the illegal owners would go about their daily activities just as before.

We, The UK have tried this after Dunblane and Hungerford, I cannot remember which and all that happened is that sporting owners of firearms ( handheld) now cannot hold them. This has made no difference to the crime level and will not.

Multiply this problem 10,000 times for the USA and there you have an insurmountable situation.

Happened after both Hungerford and Dunblane, and made virtually no difference to the rates of armed crime and in Dunblane case covered up the fact that despite numerous complaints against Thomas Hamilton and therefore numerous opportunities for the police to either suspend or revoke his licence, they chose to ignore it until it was to late.

Happened after both Hungerford and Dunblane, and made virtually no difference to the rates of armed crime and in Dunblane case covered up the fact that despite numerous complaints against Thomas Hamilton and therefore numerous opportunities for the police to either suspend or revoke his licence, they chose to ignore it until it was to late.

How do you know this?. Do you have access to two universes, one where there were no changes to laws after Hungerford and Dunblane and the universe we live in and can compare and contrat the two? Just curious.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

How do you know this?. Do you have access to two universes, one where there were no changes to laws after Hungerford and Dunblane and the universe we live in and can compare and contrat the two? Just curious.

Well considering that the homicide rate involving firearms doubled in the 4 years after the handgun ban of 1997 and in fact according to wiki (yes I know it's not the most reliable blah blah) firearms offences as a whole doubled in the eight years after the 97 ban indicates to me that passing that law as I stated made no difference to the firearms crime rate. Yes I know there are no figures available for your mythical universe where firearms weren't banned so we can only go by what figures are available and they show that things got worse so hardly an improvement.

Edited by snakey1

Well considering that the homicide rate involving firearms doubled in the 4 years after the handgun ban of 1997 and in fact according to wiki (yes I know it's not the most reliable blah blah) firearms offences as a whole doubled in the eight years after the 97 ban indicates to me that passing that law as I stated made no difference to the firearms crime rate. Yes I know there are no figures available for your mythical universe where firearms weren't banned so we can only go by what figures are available and they show that things got worse so hardly an improvement.

Things got worse mebbe? I am not going to argue with you on that score. But was this because of or in spite of the ban?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Things got worse mebbe? I am not going to argue with you on that score. But was this because of or in spite of the ban?

That's debatable however considering that the crime rates not only didn't improve but actually got worse I'll stand by my statement and say those changes in the law made little if any difference to the crime rates.

medwaygreen,

100% with you. The situation is beyond a logical conclusion.

Just one minor historical correction. America is closer to 500 years old. The first 250 we were a colony of the UK. Much of our "gun culture" was established in that first 250 since there was no established civilized culture in North America.

Phone

• 2 weeks later...

The gun culture is a relic of the days of "The Wild West" : an injun behind every bush, outlaws, cattle rustlers, gold prospectors, general lawlessness everywhere except for the law of "The Six Gun".

That is gone, just the guns remain, it won't happen overnight but eventually the majority will grow up and realise that it's over and that guns are not a necessary part of everyday life. It has started.

You only have to look at something like Nature Conservation to see how values can change, the kids learning about that now are second generation, their parents were among the first to be introduced en-masse to the knowledge that something needed to be done, those kids will be in charge in the not too distant future and the process will accelerate, (I find that very heartening).

Gun culture is no different, it must happen, it will happen. You and I won't see it, but it's coming, someone eventually will have the balls and the nous to make it happen.

The acorns are germinating, some of them will be fully grown oak trees one day.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/14/walkout-students-gun-violence-parkland-florida

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/14/drive-them-to-a-march-buy-their-gas-whatever-it-takes-support-all-kids-marching-today

Poxy kids ranting over there ,seen and not heard ! And hopefully not seen

As for oak trees they're easily chopped down theres lots of lumberjacks in the NRA i bet

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

In the case of school shootings the motive is clearly a psychological target. 100% have been mentally unstable for some time and either on medication or have recently stopped there medications.

There also is a correlation between the number of guns owned and the number of mass killings. Surprisingly mental illness is not cause to prevent a person from purchasing a gun in the US.

Even if it were, we have laws protecting your "privacy" regarding health issues. You don't have to tell anyone and they cannot reveal your condition or medications. (It's called HIPPA if you wish to look)

Phone

Ajay is correct guns in the US are out of control.

Ohh - and I believe a teacher armed with a CO2 fire extinguisher would be equally effective. Confusion is not tolerated well by the mentally ill.