Surface of lake covered in floating 'stuff'

philocalist

How come every time I go hunting beaver I come back with a moose.

Your wearing your reading glasses when you aim

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Cory,

The first time I went moose hunting I came home with a bear. The next year I went back. When I opened my suitcase my wife had tucked in an 8X10 color glossy of a bull moose.

Phone

• Like 1

All,

While I'm in the story telling mode my second year "moose" hunting was a most unusual and harrowing experience.

I was either in or very nearly in the arctic circle, estimated to be roughly 600 miles from the nearest telephone (that's the good part of this story). Anyway, for the first and only time in my life I got lost. Not lost but LOST. I knew and had been instructed, "if you get lost, just stay put". I was, afterall on an island not much bigger than a postage stamp. I just knew I could get to waters edge. I couldn't or at least didn't. I did make one good decision. It was October and getting pretty dark early. I made a camp shelter of pine bows, shot the head off a grouse, started a fire - standard stuff (plenty of wearing apparel and enough 7mm ammunition to start WWIII). Alas, as soon as I stopped walking the Inuit guides/trackers found me. Hunters or for that matter anyone truly lost will walk in circles. I told them I had NOT walked in circles. The next day I insisted we go back and sure enough we (they) found all four of my Tootsie Pop wrappers. What had fooled the Indians was that I am left handed. Left handed and right handed people walk in circles but in the opposite direction.

However, the point of my story is unless you have been totally and completely lost you cannot imagine the emotions it brings. I believe survival is as much a learned skill as it is intrinsic. It is extremely difficult to control your decision making skills. I had spent day after day hunting and fishing alone. This is the first and only time I was convinced I was totally responsible for my survival.

Phone

edit: The little jack pine was so dense you could walk in - maybe 10 yards - and then have to retreat along the same path you entered. Bearings and direction was impossible. Remember, the diameter of this island was only about 200 meters and I couldn't find water.

Edited by Phone
  • Like 1

All,

While I'm in the story telling mode my second year "moose" hunting was a most unusual and harrowing experience.

I was either in or very nearly in the arctic circle, estimated to be roughly 600 miles from the nearest telephone (that's the good part of this story). Anyway, for the first and only time in my life I got lost. Not lost but LOST. I knew and had been instructed, "if you get lost, just stay put". I was, afterall on an island not much bigger than a postage stamp. I just knew I could get to waters edge. I couldn't or at least didn't. I did make one good decision. It was October and getting pretty dark early. I made a camp shelter of pine bows, shot the head off a grouse, started a fire - standard stuff (plenty of wearing apparel and enough 7mm ammunition to start WWIII). Alas, as soon as I stopped walking the Inuit guides/trackers found me. Hunters or for that matter anyone truly lost will walk in circles. I told them I had NOT walked in circles. The next day I insisted we go back and sure enough we (they) found all four of my Tootsie Pop wrappers. What had fooled the Indians was that I am left handed. Left handed and right handed people walk in circles but in the opposite direction.

However, the point of my story is unless you have been totally and completely lost you cannot imagine the emotions it brings. I believe survival is as much a learned skill as it is intrinsic. It is extremely difficult to control your decision making skills. I had spent day after day hunting and fishing alone. This is the first and only time I was convinced I was totally responsible for my survival.

Phone

edit: The little jack pine was so dense you could walk in - maybe 10 yards - and then have to retreat along the same path you entered. Bearings and direction was impossible. Remember, the diameter of this island was only about 200 meters and I couldn't find water.

It was just over 100 yards if you got lost in the middle.

I got lost in a wood once ,i was metal detecting in a large one and a dense fog came down ,the problem is you cannot walk in a straight line in a wood so its easy to divert from your intended direction ,anyway eventually i heard a car on the road near to the wood so i started in that direction then waited for another to get the direction again and eventually found my way out even then i couldnt see across the field so marched off until i found the fence and walked along it until i found the gate

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1,

Actually, at the furthest point from the middle of the island we estimated only 120 - 150 YARDS. I was as close as 10 - 12 yards from a shoreline at one point according to the Indians. I denied the location but I'm sure they were probably right.

Phone

• 2 weeks later...

:D :D :D Housebound for a bit despite the current glorious weather, so jusy mooching about online trying to stave off baredom - revisited this topic out of curiosity as I was the OP ... amazing how far, and how quickly - a topic can stray / evlove(?) from the original ... a lake turning over to bears, moose hunting and getting hpelessly lost within about a dozen posts :clap:

• 3 weeks later...

:D :D :D Housebound for a bit despite the current glorious weather, so jusy mooching about online trying to stave off baredom - revisited this topic out of curiosity as I was the OP ... amazing how far, and how quickly - a topic can stray / evlove(?) from the original ... a lake turning over to bears, moose hunting and getting hpelessly lost within about a dozen posts :clap:

Anyone up for a game of Chinese Whispers?? :secret:

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Psssst, Martin said Anyone up for a game of Chinese Whiskers?? Pass it on ! Lol.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

:secret: , Keith says he has a pair of Knee High Hipsters!! - Pass it on lol..

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Stainless steel chippers?

• Like 1