Burbot!

philocalist

Hmmm :-) What is the perceived wisdom for fishing for this beastie? ... just discovered that I may well be fishing a water that holds them (alongside many other species) for a few weeks over the summer!

Edited by philocalist

Martin,

Can't listen to it. It's in some strange English language dialect.

The burbot is an engima, a mystery, a fish unlike any other. It is the only freshwater member of the great codfish family. The burbot prefers deep, cold water, darkness, and secret hiding places. The life of the burbot is timed to strange cycles: the wind, the winter, the eternal darkness. In the Missouri River drainage they are known as eelpout, or lawyer fish. Best if eaten

Phone

Hi Peter, hope you get lucky mate BUT - have a listen to this,

Think it's been posted before though??

https://soundcloud.com/far-shoreline/the-case-of-the-missing-burbot

Sure has Martin - from memory I think it may well have been me that posted it ... thouigh this water is outside of the UK, apparently with burbot quite common - apparently also the Hutchen, a freshwater version of the salmon, with the biggest rod caught specimen recorded at 1.8 metres / 60kg in weight, from memory, and fish in excess of 1.5metres recorde each season! :-)

Off to Sweden?

Looks like jigging or bait fishing with works from a boat in deep water is he order of the day.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Philo,

The bait of the day - - - SALMON EGGS!!

We have sturgeon in the river and a blob is a good as it gets. I've only caught a couple in my lifetime. The bait also, in fact, is primarily for flathead catfish. (I never liked night fishing so I never really expected much luck).

Phone

Philo,

The bait of the day - - - SALMON EGGS!!

We have sturgeon in the river and a blob is a good as it gets. I've only caught a couple in my lifetime. The bait also, in fact, is primarily for flathead catfish. (I never liked night fishing so I never really expected much luck).

Phone

Phone

I don't know about in England but in Scotland possesion of salmon roe is a criminal offence.

Salmon roe

(1)

Any person who buys, sells, exposes for sale or is in possession of any salmon roe shall

be guilty of an offence, and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3

on the standard scale.

(2)

Subsection (1) above shall not apply to any person who gives a reason, satisfactory to

the court before which that person is charged, for being in possession of salmon roe.

(3)

It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) above to

prove

(a)

that the roe had been produced in the course of fish farming within the meaning

given by section 33(6) of the Fisheries Act 1981 (c.29.); or

( B)

that that person believed on reasonable grounds that it had been so produced.

(4)

A person who commits an offence under this section may be convicted on the evidence

of one witness.

(5)

Subsection (3) above is without prejudice to the provisions of subsection (2) above

relating to the circumstances in which subsection (1) above does not apply.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson