Catch reports

Si...

A 2lb ish chub and several bushes last evening its not cut back this year after the tractor almost fell in in the spring

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 1 month later...

The last few weeks has been hard work, just small fish and a 3 lb eel during the dry spell. So the tail end of a hurricane might stir things up, thought I

Nope, at first,the same story, lots of tiddlers yesterday morning whilst fishing in a howling gale, until about 11.30 then the wind changed suddenly - from driving into our left ears from WNW it dropped , the ripples died away,then a gentle breeze from the SE sent a raft of floating leaves and twigs across the pond (They had been torn from the surrounding oaks and all those floating in the pond had been piled up by the gale into the shallow corner to our right), The whole change took place in about ninety seconds.

Just before the nor westerly gale dropped, I had a run on a deadbait (tiddlers have their uses) which proved to be a perch of a pound and a half, Not a big perch in the grand scheme of things, but one of the better fish in this small pond, When the gentle breeze started we decided to stay an extra couple of hours, but despite the "improved" conditions no further perch materialised. We settled for a late lunch, for which hot soup made from sweet potato and Thai spices was served, most welcome and a sign that summer is over. No more gazpacho until next June !

Now I know that perch are not supposed to like wind, but this is not the first time recently that I have caught better-than-tiddler perch in a howling gale.

Have they adjusted to climate change (Climate has been changing ever since Earth had a climate) - whilst we are still running around in circles arguing about whose "fault" it is ?

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

It’s been a while since I posted here and it’s nice to see some activity again.

I’m still as enthusiastic as ever partly because I’m now exploring new clubs and venues on the Thames. The decline of the Kennet continues, barbel are almost non-existent on the stretches I have access to and the big chub & perch are now fewer in number as well though there are smaller ones coming through. It’s got to the point where one of my clubs will be letting a prime stretch go at the end of this season. The combined cost of my two club books is £140.00 and it’ll be very hard to justify that next year.

The Thames is a different story altogether, a steep learning curve compared to chalk stream fishing but early signs are encouraging and I can get access to loads of it through membership to several clubs charging very reasonable fees…£12.00 in one case.

Anyway, to the point. This lovely 1lb 2oz roach was caught on tares with hemp in the feeder. It’s one of the first fish I’ve ever caught with this bait, up until now I’ve had zero confidence in it.

IMG_0135_zpsgs0ohmae.jpg

• Like 3

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Nice roach Rusty - any roach over a pound is good news.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The tares themselves

http://kingstown.net/pigeon/tares.php

Like big hemp ,cooked pretty well the same way ,like hemp i used to (not used them for decades) put a cup full in a flask fill it with boiling water (loose lid) then they should be perfect by morning

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

On 9/23/2018 at 9:16 AM, Rusty said:

The decline of the Kennet continues, barbel are almost non-existent on the stretches I have access to and the big chub & perch are now fewer in number as well though there are smaller ones coming through. Its got to the point where one of my clubs will be letting a prime stretch go at the end of this season. The combined cost of my two club books is £140.00 and itll be very hard to justify that next year.

Its such a shame that the Kennet does not appear to be as good as it used to be.

The river Kennet used to be my favourite river and I caught my very first Barbel from the Kennet at Thatcham back in 1975 and I used to catch Barbel, Chub and Quality Roach at Thatcham, Theale, Burghfield and Newbury.

This is my very first Barbel (caught at Thatcham) and just look at all the streamer weed behind, the Kennet was like this along most of its length back in those days and full of quality fish.

F1-A6-A076-2446-47-A2-AF5-D-D9-CCF0-F61-

Thats a lovely Roach you caught on Tares and Hemp Rusty, Ive only ever caught small fish on Hemp, and that was on the float on the river Ouse.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

All,

Must have forgotten to "send" my post yesterday. Never to old. I have never fished with "snapdragon" seed pods. Even worse - I;ve had a yard full of them all my life.

Now comes Bold Bear on another thread with a device I've always thought would be handy. A substantial quick release in the net handle that is 8 - 10 inches from the net. (Wotnob was looking)

Two fresh fishing ideas (to me) in two days. Who says there is nothing new to be found in angling?

Refreshing

Phone