Catch reports

Si...

• 3 months later...
On 6/18/2020 at 6:28 PM, BoldBear said:

For for anyone who didn’t already know; while unhooking a Carp on his unhooking mat Stuart’s lead and bait accidentally slipped into the water next to him, and a big Carp took the bait within seconds and screamed away through the landing stage and his rod went CRACK!!! 

Ian, Did you notice that one of Stuart’s bite alarms in the bottom picture is a lot larger than the other?

One of his bite alarms stopped working so I gave him one of my older optonics to use. So he broke his rod and his bite alarm both on the same day ??

Keith

Hi Keith, you may have already seen these?? Any good??

https://www.c2kft.co.uk/product/mitchell-avocet-rte-6500fs-black-ed-free-spool-reel-built-in-bite-alarm-orange/

Here it is showing the Beep... On another one it shows the whole green bit flashing which is more like it.

Also on ebay with other coloured lights.

I have an Avocet bait runner which is very smooth to use.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I’ve seen a reel like this advertised before Martin, but I’m not sure whether it was a Mitchell or not that I saw.

I still much prefer my Shimano (and Diawa) baitrunner reels with separate alarms; there’s less to go wrong in the long run with them (bulbs and bleepers etc.); however its a really good idea for someone who likes to travel really light.

How does it cope with drop back bites when your line can go slack Martin?

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

On 10/6/2020 at 5:29 PM, BoldBear said:

I’ve seen a reel like this advertised before Martin, but I’m not sure whether it was a Mitchell or not that I saw.

I still much prefer my Shimano (and Diawa) baitrunner reels with separate alarms; there’s less to go wrong in the long run with them (bulbs and bleepers etc.); however its a really good idea for someone who likes to travel really light.

How does it cope with drop back bites when your line can go slack Martin?

Keith

I Guess the bleeper would still work even when the bulb has blown?? (depending on how it's wired) & yes Keith, I can't see how can cope with drop back bites either in its own right.

I have a Mitchell Avocet bait runner (not alarmed) & I have to say it's very good for the money, it was on offer from local tackle shop & can't have been much over £20 or so - must have been a good deal, Me being a Yorkshireman!!

I also have a nice Daiwa graphite runner. Again, not much money.

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

The Mitchell Avocet looks like a great reel and for a little over £20 it sounds like it was a really good deal  :thumbs:

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

All,

I nearly always used, I believe you call them "swingers". In some cases it could be a 4 inch bobber and in other cases a bit of chewing gum wrapper.

I would concede I haven't done three night sessions in my lifetime. However, it is just my opinion alarms usually do not represent a significant event at the bait. Massive drop back or screaming run means a fish has hooked itself IMO.

1 hour ago, Phone said:

All,

I nearly always used, I believe you call them "swingers". In some cases it could be a 4 inch bobber and in other cases a bit of chewing gum wrapper.

I would concede I haven't done three night sessions in my lifetime. However, it is just my opinion alarms usually do not represent a significant event at the bait. Massive drop back or screaming run means a fish has hooked itself IMO.

Phone; that’s what most Carp anglers in the UK use nowerdays; a self hooking rig (unless they are surface fishing or float fishing or freelining); and because the Angler is often looking elsewhere or adjusting their other rod(s) or reading or sleeping or talking when the Carp gets hooked or pricked; the bite alarm is an essentual item of tackle on long night sessions, as well as during the day.

A bite alarm does give you immediate bite indications when you are fishing in a straight line to your end tackle; even when the Carp moves towards the Angler or your bait is being gently tugged when smaller fish are playing with your bait, and with the bobbin hanging down it keeps your line in contact with the alarms roller; and is also another visual indicator of the bite as it rises or falls; Plus the speed of the beeps at night can  give you an indication of the speed the Carp is moving too, as occasionally the Carp doesn’t even realise that it’s been hooked for a short while.

NB: swingers are ‘old hat’ and seldom used these days although some still use them.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

KEITH,
It is truly an embarrassment how quickly we get out of touch as we age. In fact, I would bet I haven't spent 3 hours in the last three years with an angler committed to EURO style carp fishing. I have never even seen a Delkim TXI Bite Alarm. Truth is I know nothing of their effectiveness. At one time I was a superb freeline sight angler -  -  - let's see -- - - how about 1973 

Phone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went Pike fishing with Rusty the weekend before last and managed 4 but missed 3 runs ,trialing circle hooks but unsure if I will stick with them at that strike rate 

first one hit the bait within a couple of minutes of casting out ,second fish actually took the Roach on the drop same swim 

mint fish no marks or hook damage and no fin damage which is good from the Kennet 

7274D280-5DC4-4161-931D-D6D8371F27C7.jpeg

BD93787F-0AB7-4BBC-A2F7-E07F65ED059A.jpeg

• Like 2

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• 4 months later...

If your having difficulty seeing your floating bait being taken at range, you could just use a self cocker, like a drennan puddle chucker float etc. I know the line comes off the bottom and might cause your line to sink and pull the bait toward the float etc, if it does just recast more often. You could even use a ruber on the top of the float, so the line comes off the top and see how it casts.

There used to be designated floats made specially for this purpose, maybe someone can point one out for you?....i've looked for them on ebay but can't see any.