Expander pellets

The Flying Tench

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

This is (was several years ago) the optimum balance containing all the required protein (18-50%), lipid (10-25%), carbohydrate (15-20%), ash (< 8.5%), phosphorus (< 1.5%), water (< 10%), and trace amounts of vitamins, and minerals.

BP Milling
Upper Littlecote Farm
Hilmarton
Calne, GB
info@bpmilling.co.uk

Tench, I suggest contacting BP - they have an angling division

Phone

Hi John,

I match fish mainly and use expanders alot, for skimmers/bream and for carp.

They can be used on the waggler for skimmers, usually feeding a few of the same by catapult.

As you guessed, can also us a little cage feeder to feed wetted 2mm pellets with an expander on the hook as long as it is just a short chuck.

An alternative to a Cage Feeder are these Pellet Feeders - Various sizes & shaped like a shovel (for wetted/damped pellets of course) :-

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiTgbjxuKHaAhXMk-0KHRQMCUYYABAOGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAASEuRo4iOAxikb5qGcVIM4k6w5Lg&sig=AOD64_2GuYMRdZgt1wAuqSqJh22NJpM1RQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwj24rPxuKHaAhUnJMAKHRiOATkQ9aACCEI&adurl=

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Martin,

On this side of the pond we use the terms "breakers and binders" in our "packbaits" (a packbait serves the same purpose as a feeder). A packbait is more similar to the South African mielie bom and the UK method mix or ground bait)

Here is the "standard". First picture is of the ingredients being mixed

Second picture is of a "pop' on a #4 hook - the point of the hook is always exposed. A pop is expanded breakfast cereal. I always use corn pops. (pops can be "flavored" with your secret ingredient

Third picture is the "packbait being squeezed around the pop and hook.

The amount of times you squeeze and the combination of breakers and binders dictate how long it takes the "pack" to dissolve leaving the hook and "pop setting in the pile. Pops float

CREAM CORN TROUT CHOW (fishmeal)
  • 3 lb #300 aquamax starter chow
  • 1 can cream style corn
  • ½ pack of snowcone powder (optional) FORGET THIS

Add 1 whole can of cream corn, mix thoroughly and allow to set up overnight.

IMG_3163-Trout%2BChow1_HDR_focus.jpeg
IMG_3166-Trout%2BChow2_HDR_focus.jpeg
IMG_3165-Trout%2BChow3_HDR_focus.jpeg

Phone

All,

There are lots of recipes (my second favorite might be grits although BY FAR I prefer corn recipes.)

Also, I use a bit more tidy hooklink - little or no weight (the size of your pack determines casting distance.

You can see how we determine how high the pop floats up. I like to stay close to the pile but have "popped up as much as 4 - 6 inches.

Any questions? - It's been a long time since I posted something like this

Phone

How would you know if a fish picked up the bait and swam towards you in the case theres no weight between bait and you?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

I'm trying to get my head around a visualization for the size of these pellets. Are shotgun pellets measured in mm (is a #2 shot 2mm)?

Phone

Pellets are extruded through a circular die in manufacture, the pellet size is the diameter of the die.

Shotgun pellets are the same sizes as split-shot used as float fishing weights and the classification is by weight (there is no No.2 shot) :) :-http://www.silksworthlakes.com/splitshotweightsizeratios/

Edited by ayjay

Chesters1,

I am somewhat unique in the use of no weight. I do, what I believe you call touch ledgering. I rarely leave a bait out over 15 - 20 minutes. At the hint of a "drop-back" I put on a "Texas Whip hookset"IMO it accomplishes a couple things. If there is no fish at least it is a way to lay down groundbait.

As a general rule - when I'm fishing - I'm fishing. No tea, no buzzers, no bait making, etc.

Phone

All,

I'm trying to get my head around a visualization for the size of these pellets. Are shotgun pellets measured in mm (is a #2 shot 2mm)?

Phone

Things have moved on maybe a bit since shot sizes were quoted as the species of Animals they were designed to kill ie Buckshot. Swanshot (But still stand loosely even today) Here's some examples.

https://gunnewsdaily.com/shotgun-shell-sizes-comparison-chart-terms/

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!