Should I pay or should I go(to court)?

wellyphant

Strange my old zundapp RRD223 is now a land rover ,its all growed up lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Must have sold the plate :)

Yes i got £800 for it and another in about 1988 via a numberplate sales page in the exchange and mart ,a great deal of money back then for a couple of worn out scooters ,wish i had one now though it sure beats the bus!

Blimey my old landy still exists stm713w ,its predecessor mou35f does not though it used more oil than petrol last time i saw it it had a 6cylinder engine in it it was cheaper on oil the owner said lol

My son in law does banger racing so i know my old golf and volvo are cubes now

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving home from Cheshire after enjoying a bank holiday weekend in Nantwich with some friends. I was travelling Northbound on the M6 with my young son in my father's Campervan.
I noticed a police car following me but was not worried as I thought everything was in order and I'd not been speeding. You can imagine my surprise when the officer switched on his blues to pull me over.
The officer asked me to sit in his car where he would explain to me why he'd pulled me over, to my horror, he informed me that my dad's vehicle was showing as having no insurance.
I explained that I was convinced the van was insured as I'd checked with my father a few weeks previously before another trip.
The police officer did some more checks and it was confirmed that the van was uninsured. He then allowed me to contact my father to try and get an explanation and to see if my dad could get the vehicle insured immediately. When I rang him, my father was equally shocked and after ringing his insurance company he discovered that his insurance had lapsed at the end of January this year.
My father managed to get insurance there and then and the Police officer sent us on our way after issuing me with a traffic offence report.
When I got home, my father explained to me that the reason he wasn't insured was that he had recently changed his current account from a bank to a building and he was under the impression that his Direct Debit for the Insurance would automatically be transferred over.
My father had been insured with the Camping and Caravan club and his policy had been renewed automatically every year since 2008 but was discontinued when he'd switched accounts.
As far as my dad was concerned, he'd had no notifications from his insurance company to inform him that his insurance had expired but after speaking to them, they informed him that he'd by notified via email.
My dad checked through his emails and found that a renewal notification had indeed been sent but as it had gone straight to Junk, he'd missed it.
I have since received a CONDITIONAL OFFER OF A FIXED PENALTY.
For my 'sins', I'm looking at a fine of £300 and 6 penalty points.
As a working single father, I cannot afford this fine nor the points on my licence, nor can I afford the inevitable increased insurance payments for my own vehicle.
I thing this a harsh penalty for someone who believed everything was in order and wasn't driving a vehicle in the knowledge that it wasn't insured. My father has drafted a letter accepting full responsibility should I contest the allegation in court. My father's insurers have also made a note against his policy that will confirm that his policy had been renewed automatically every year for the last ten years.
Should I fight this in court and risk further court costs or take it on the chin?

:fishing1: Personally I would go to court, plead guilty and give the statements from your father and insurance company as mitigating circumstances, I'd also try to get one from the bank as to why ALL the direct debits weren't transferred as they should have been. :fishing1:

With that kind of policy the other vehicle also needs to be insured by the owner.

Only your own trade insurance allows you to drive any car that isnt insured by the owner/whayever. Need to prove your driving the car in a 'trade' capacity though, meaning not personal/leasure

Not so. It is sometimes a stipulation of such policies that the other vehicle needs to be insured in its own right in order to be covered, but it is not always the case. It is not the case in mine. Always check the fine print!

There are issues in driving something under your own policy which is not insured in its own right, to do with the meaning of "using" and leaving the car parked on the street, but that's a problem for the registered keeper.

Not so. It is sometimes a stipulation of such policies that the other vehicle needs to be insured in its own right in order to be covered, but it is not always the case. It is not the case in mine. Always check the fine print!

There are issues in driving something under your own policy which is not insured in its own right, to do with the meaning of "using" and leaving the car parked on the street, but that's a problem for the registered keeper.

Do you mean the trade insurance thing ? When i was havin a look at it few years ago thats something i would be looking for in a trade policy.

As wellyphants was driving a 3rd parties uninsured van his personal policy id doubt very much if it allowed him to drive it so would be void. All my personal policies have covered me 3rd party fire and theft to drive another persons 'insured' car, something i ways look for (fishing with friends for example and thry get injured). Insurers changed the (drive any car even if its not insured) years ago to stop people insuring a cheapo low powered banger then driving around in uninsured high powered cars like bmw's on their bangers policy.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

No, I mean standard personal insurance. Some policies state that the other car must itself be insured. Some do not. You have to check the small print.

No, I mean standard personal insurance. Some policies state that the other car must itself be insured. Some do not. You have to check the small print.

Do you mean the trade insurance thing ? When i was havin a look at it few years ago thats something i would be looking for in a trade policy.

As wellyphants was driving a 3rd parties uninsured van his personal policy id doubt very much if it allowed him to drive it so would be void. All my personal policies have covered me 3rd party fire and theft to drive another persons 'insured' car, something i ways look for (fishing with friends for example and thry get injured). Insurers changed the (drive any car even if its not insured) years ago to stop people insuring a cheapo low powered banger then driving around in uninsured high powered cars like bmw's on their bangers policy.

When I was in my twenties Norwich Union had Rider or Driver policies. The Driver or the Rider was insured, not the vehicle. I was covered full comprehensive for any bike that I owned up to 800cc and for any bike of same capacity that I had the owners permission to ride. Not sure if Aviva have a similar policies today though.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Sorry, I took your post to mean that cover for cars which are themselves not insured is only ever available on trade policies. I have never had a trade policy, but nor have I ever had that stipulation on driving other cars cover on my normal insurance. It does happen, some insurers do have that policy, but it's not all of them.