Angler from the 1970's

TerryFarnell

I've been trying to recall the name of an angler from the 1970's. He gave up work so he could spend the rest of his life fishing and was often featured in the angling press, as much for his unusual lifestyle as for his catches. At the time, I think he must have been in his 40's and he travelled around Britain and Ireland with his homemade boat. I was a teenager at the time and thought he had the perfect lifestyle! I've often wondered what happened to him and I wondered if anyone else remembers this character.

Hello Terry and welcome to Anglers Net.

There's a few of us old fogies on here, and your description does ring a few bells. Can't remember the name though so I'll be interested in finding out too :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Thanks for the welcome John and thanks also for the quick moderation of this post. I've been trying to think of this guy's name for about 10 years and I've exhausted all the search engines on the internet. Now I've gone back to old fashioned first principles and I'm hoping to find somebody of my age who might have a better memory than me!

All,

There was a chap I ran into frequently who came to America, even had his own line of kit (rods mostly). He went by the name "Globetrotter" although for the life of me I can't remember his given name. Hugely likeable sort of guy. Carp only though as I remember. And specimen hunter at that.

Phone

I do remember reading an article in one of the magazines where the author mentioned that someone had done that, and subsequently had mental health issues.

I do remember reading an article in one of the magazines where the author mentioned that someone had done that, and subsequently had mental health issues.

Well phone did say it was "carp only" :rolleyes: .

I do remember a guy from North Yorkshire, who packed in his work and got a stretch on the R Ure. He wrote articles for the A Times, A Mail, and I think for Coarse Angling magazine. I think his name was John something.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

He became a carp angler :D

Sorry, couldn't resist :spiteful:

Gozzer, you beat me to it.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Alan Wilson?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

All,

Gozzer, In spite of your demeaning remarks I remember a fellow named " John Wilson". Fished with him in Arkansas. He was probably to uppity to be this guy. And he was also a carp fisherman. I also think it was probably early to mid 1980;s The only thing going for him as a "suspect" is I remember he wrote on occasion for some UK fishrag.

Phone

John Wilson was a different 'kettle of fish' phone. An ex barber on a cruise ship, who achieved fame as an angling writer, and TV personality. If reports are to be believed, he was a strange fellow, and a bit of a 'grump'. I believe he moved to Thailand a few years ago, or maybe the otters he so despised, chased him out.

Here's one of his shows you might like, pay attention to the laugh.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=john+wilson+angling+on+youtube&view=detail&mid=01EE73D7011F8E568E7A01EE73D7011F8E568E7A&FORM=VIRE

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John