Shockleader

Andrew

I have 10lb braided mainline on my spool for my forthcoming trip to Eire for bream and hybrid angling.

What would be the best line in poundage for a shock leader please. I would usually use maybe 4 or 5 pound. Would that be to weak for braided line shocker ?

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

What size of lead will you be casting, and how hard? Sea anglers usually reckon on 10lb/oz, but that's based on power casting. I'm happy to lob a method feeder weight two or three ounces on 8lb main line, but that's a gentle lob.

Sorry its coarse angling :doh: suggested cage feeder is betwixt 30 to 50gr for distance feeder.

No heavy casting, left that on the beach years ago, hahahaha, for pendulum casting i always used a 60lb+ shocker

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Well, I guess the question is really "how light do you need to go?" Assuming you're going to be able to go to a lighter hooklength if presentation is an issue, why not go 10lb?

size 12to 14 hook, max 5lb hook length, i would say yes to 10lb for the distance, maybe a gentle lob ;) to about 80 yards.

I don't think the slabs will be fussy if they start to feed, the bream/roach hybrids will most certainly not be fussy, greedy buggers. :D

Edited by Andrew
  • Like 1

“Vescere bracis meis”

Why use a shock leader at all?

If you feel that there is a possibility of overloading the mainline on the cast, just up the mainline a bit.

A rubbing leader is a different deal but the need for that will be dependent on bottom composition, rigs etc.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Shouldn't need a leader for that casting weight, I've cast 50-65g feeders/weights well in excess of 80yds on 8lb straight through.

Well said Si - you don't "Compress" a fresh water rod on the cast, anywhere near as much as one would using a "Beach Caster".

The softer action on a FW rod takes up most of the shock.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Yep. Though I expect some of the carp boys chucking big leads 150 yards are using variants of beachcasting "power casts". For most coarse fishing the overhead thump does it.

For what it's worth, I was fishing 2oz on 10lb line on the estuary the other day. I fished it with my beach gear earlier in the week, which allows me to cover most of the width of the estuary, but found that the fish were close in. So I got the coarse rods out. Much nicer for a short cast, better bite detection and a bit of a fight from the flatties! The beach rods have 35lb braid to a tapered 60lb mono leader so they'll chuck 6oz a long way, but it was just overkill for close in at slack water.