Shimano Aero

wotnobivvy

Ken,

Surprised to hear that from Shimano

Phone

Big brands aren't immune to dropping the ball badly.

Berkley Nanofil was/is appallingly bad line.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken,

NanoFil has a pretty faithful following here. It is the most "common" new line when ultra light, ultra small diameter is wanted by the "cast a half mile" crowd. It is so tiny tiny 1 lb line is 0.001 thick. I'm told, although I've never used it, the only knot that has a chance is a palomar if you have the patients and skill to tie it. NanoFil is slicker than snot to the touch. Also subject to wind deflection. Ohh and it will cut the he!! out of your hand if you try to break it, even 4 or 6 lb. (experience on that point)

I can't believe Gozzer and all the other dink fishermen haven't fallen in love with it.

$20.00 150 yards

Phone

I used it when it came out. casts brilliantly, handles well, snaps for no good reason - and the palomar is my go to knot for lure applications.

Tried the basic palomar, a double palomar and the so called nanofil knot and all were unreliable - I was even getting unexplainable breaks mid line - I went back to fireline sharpish.

I may have another play with the Shimano line but if I'm still getting the same issues, I may just spool up my float reel with 10lb 8 strand braid.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Used the Shimano with no problems. Knots were tied using my trusty Matchman hook tyer. Landed carp to about 5-6 lbs. The only break was a foul-hooked fish when I could feel the line rubbing on the dorsal fin prior to the break

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

All,

When I get a chance to go again guess I'll buy a new spool of Berkley Big Game mono - 16lb, fat as a pig and breaks at something WAY more than 16. (Is Big Game still an option?)

Phone

All,

Just checked - all tucked away in the dark recesses of my fishing stuff is about 1/2 spool (3 lb spool) of Big Game. Maybe 4 or 5 Hundred yards left. Dated 1977 - although it is 12lb may just use it. 10 yards or so wasn't kinky and tied to a tree took well over 15 - 20 lbs to break.

What do you think?

Phone

Edit: stretched like crazy (maybe 1/3)

Edited by Phone

I think I'd chuck it away and buy 300m of AN40.