KHV Carp Virus

Martin56

Too much money involved Bob.

I started fishing in the late 50s, and my Dad and uncles since the early 1900s, and the total number of carp they'd caught in Yorkshire, would have just made double figures. They were mysterious fish, the 'uncatchable' dark shapes that drifted through your swim. I caught my first from a small pond, and had stalked this 'monster' for most of a summer. I finally caught it, the whole 8lbs of it! They were a 'special' fish and we youngsters looked up to the 'carp anglers' of the day with respect and awe. Then, the whole idea of overstocked commercial 'fisheries' were introduced, (I prefer to call them 'catching ponds', because that is their only purpose). Now, because of vastly overstocked waters, built on flood plains, the stocking of large numbers of carp into canals, and indiscriminate stocking by idiot anglers, they are in every river in the county. We've even had matches at Ulleskelf won with carp! It's almost impossible to find a balanced, mixed, stillwater to fish. I'm hoping that we have a severe winter, to kill off the fry that will have been produced with this hot summer we're having, if not, the place will be teeming with the bloody things, to the detriment of the indigenous species.

We are now getting more catfish showing, especially on the Yorks Ouse, they have also escaped from waters built on flood plains.

We were once called 'guardians of the waters', not so now.

John.

Ya gotta laugh, gozzer...In Western Australia, Lake Argyle, in the kimberley Region, has a fish farm where they breed and net barramundi (excellent) and catfish (yuck) In the Territory, catfish are, (in the angling fraternity), a minus fish, whereas barramundi are at the top of the list. Neither WA, nor the NT have the carp...Yet in the southern eastern states, carp are in plague proportions and totally reviled...And, oddly enough, redfin are considered a good fish.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

All,

You can surly here my gnashing of teeth.

"MAY THE FOURTH (of July) BE WITH YOU" (both)

Where should I send the T-shirts??

Phone

Would that be the gnashing of your pharyngeal teeth Phone?

I'm pretty sure you're part carp. :fish::fish:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

John - spot on. I remember the first time I came face to face with a carp. It took me a second for my eyes to focus and understand what I was seeing - a big grey thing looking right back at me. First one I caught was on floating bread when I was on holiday in Devon. So exciting. Now theyre nothing special at all.

John - spot on. I remember the first time I came face to face with a carp. It took me a second for my eyes to focus and understand what I was seeing - a big grey thing looking right back at me. First one I caught was on floating bread when I was on holiday in Devon. So exciting. Now theyre nothing special at all.

Nor are the people that fished for them ,i started night fishing in about 1963 (i was 10 ish) and even then those that did were percieved as mad!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Gozzer,

OHH, Ohh, ohh - TOUCHE I will have to lay in the grass for now you are one UP

Very funny

Phone

Oh no Phone, you can't do that, it's not allowed. A random blade of grass might have your eye out!

I'll send a nice comfy unhooking mat for you. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John