Untreated Maize - a disservice to fish?

Newt

Used to love fishing ponds, for Tench, Crucians, Rudd and the odd Carp. Now i would only consider it if the pond still contained all the species. Too many waters just full of Carp actually competing to get hooked! Not the fish or the water managers fault, it is the danglers fault, that is how they prefer to spend their time.

Still enjoy catching a carp from a river.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you ever have a chance to get over to this side of the pond, our rivers, lakes, and most ponds still have plenty of carp that have never been near an angler. I'm near the Atlantic coast and phone is around 1000+ miles west of me but both areas have plenty of water and plenty of fish.

When I was able to get around, I loved targeting carp on fast water since they thrive there and tend to be very strong & active. I even own several lever drag reels so I could adjust the clutch to barely maintain the bait location no matter how strong the current. Carp in dam tail race waters can often be seen jumping & playing as if they were salmon.

My bait of choice was a range cube which I don't think you even have available in the UK. It is a cattle feed supplement made from alfalfa and similar grasses mixed with molasses and compressed into hard, long cylinders then broken into 3-8 cm pieces. It needs an electric drill to use them for hair rigs and in the water they slowly dissolve (around an hour in summer-temp water) from the outside into a sweet grassy mix that carp seem to think highly of. A 10 kilo bag costs about 12-15 pounds so not costly.

My wife preferred pack baits in quiet waters and usually outfished me by a significant margin. :bye2:

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President