Ideas for foreign trip

The Flying Tench

You can do Thailand for the same sort of money as Europe and if you're not after absolute monsters, you can fish some very nice places for cheap for fish that will pull your arm off as you are served a beer and a meal at the lakeside.
Wild fishing in the rivers is possible too and I've spent some happy hours trotting the river Kwai for barbs (roach on steroids) and gouramis.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

You can do Thailand for the same sort of money as Europe and if you're not after absolute monsters, you can fish some very nice places for cheap for fish that will pull your arm off as you are served a beer and a meal at the lakeside.

Wild fishing in the rivers is possible too and I've spent some happy hours trotting the river Kwai for barbs (roach on steroids) and gouramis.

Looks like a tropical muddy hole!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Thanks, Ken, you've got me thinking out of the box, now!

For some reason I don't think I'll be going to Thailand. Maybe it's the cost of getting out there. But it's put a thought in my mind - I've never caught a zander or black bass. Are there places in Europe where modest sized ones can be caught easily? The reason I say 'easily' is that I've got back trouble and can't stand for too long which limits lure fishing.

john clarke

John

There are certainly Zander in the river Blavet. How many or what size I don't know.

They are fished for by French anglers because they are very good to eat, so any that are caught are unlikely to go back. I doubt stock levels are particularly high.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Good point, Steve! I really knew this, but for some reason it had disappeared from my plans. I might go for this instead of Brittany or Holland this year, and leave them for when I can plan better ahead.

John, you can catch loads of modest sized zander at Rutland Water while sitting on your bum and waggling a short rod up and down!

Thanks, Sportsman

JOhn

John

There are certainly Zander in the river Blavet. How many or what size I don't know.

They are fished for by French anglers because they are very good to eat, so any that are caught are unlikely to go back. I doubt stock levels are particularly high.

john clarke

Thanks, Ken, you've got me thinking out of the box, now!

For some reason I don't think I'll be going to Thailand. Maybe it's the cost of getting out there. But it's put a thought in my mind - I've never caught a zander or black bass. Are there places in Europe where modest sized ones can be caught easily? The reason I say 'easily' is that I've got back trouble and can't stand for too long which limits lure fishing.

Cheap flights can be had for around £380, A basic room will be £10-15 a night and when I visit Hua Hin, a day's fishing (including bait, the taxi there and back and a meal/beer on the bank) comes in at £35-55 a day depending on which lake I fish - which is better than chilling on the beach. Some of the widely publicised places are very expensive and conversely, some of the fishing parks that cater to locals are ludicrously cheap.

A Corey points out, the one I linked to is basically a Tropical muddy hole but its still pleasant and relaxing and has an interesting range of fairly big fish.

Oh, and there's no licences to worry about.

If you find a spot for bass fishing, do post details as I'm very interested.

I seriously fancied trying eastern Turkey for Mangar or Morocco for Largemouth bass but there are far to many nutters passing through those parts of the world at the moment.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• 11 months later...

Hi Sportsman, or anyone else who has fished Brittany.

Finally, a year on I am going to take up your suggestion and fish the River Blavet - in the first week of October. If you are still around, two questions: in case I want a change from the river, how does the canal compare with the Blavet? And do you particularly recommend any of the lakes?

Thanks

John

I have fished the river Blavet near Pontivy and the Nantes/Brest canal in the same area Most local anglers only fish for Pike and Zander that they take for the pot, so very little coarse fishing going on, at least by UK standards.

The Blavet, reckoned at one time to be the best coarse river in France, is slow moving in this area. Access is good as it has a towpath all along one bank. You will need a licence to fish anywhere but in private lakes. Licenses are €10 a day or €30 a week, available online. I wouldn't fish without one as you are much more likely to be checked than you are in the UK.

Fishing fairly short sessions I have caught 50lbs of bream and roach without too much trouble. Bream to 5 1/2 pounds and Roach to one and a half pounds on simple cage feeder with worm maggot or sweetcorn on the hook. I also got broken more than one occasion by large carp. These are pretty much wild fish, probably never been caught and fight like crazy.

john clarke