Frustration

gozzer

As some of you will know, it's taken some time for me to get back on the bank, after a few health issues, I was determined that this would be the year. I got my licence, but illness put it on hold again. Then the death of my brother, and part-time angling companion, made me realise that time is not on my side, so he'd given me the kick up the backside I needed. It's taken this long to get myself together, and this week was chosen for two reasons, one, there has been some rain, and two, the kids are back at school. I sorted my gear, and made a list of the terminal tackle I needed. So far, so good, or so I thought. I knew my local tackle shop had closed, but according to the internet, there were a few still on the go. A round trip of some 30 miles, and a full afternoon, showed that four tackle shops that were on the 'net as still trading, had closed. I found one about 4 miles away, and went. I wanted some stick, and avon, type floats, a few hooks to nylon, a few spools of Bayer perlon for the float, and maxima, for the leger. When I asked for the bayer, I go told, "there's a few spools in a box over there", I looked and it was all 2.1bs, and 1.1bs, I picked some of the former for hook lengths. The maxima I wanted in 4 & 6lb, he only had 4lb. The hooks, out of two full racks, I found just two packets of barbed to nylon, in the sizes I wanted, and with the right bs hook length, ( I prefer squashed barbed over barbless). He had just two trotting floats in the pots, one wire stemmed avon, and a lignum vitae stick. Every other float, was a pole float, or a carp bagging type. Just about all the hooks were barbless, because "that's what's allowed on commercials". I've asked around, and found a couple of shops over the other side of town, so I will be calling there on my way tomorrow. The stretch of the Wharfe I'm going on, is day ticket, and one of the shops I'll be calling in, used to sell tickets. I rang the shop 5 times today, just to check, and let it ring until an 'answering machine' told me to call back later, as it couldn't take messages!

Now, I realise that I've been 'out of the loop' for a while, but of the few tackle shops left, is this the norm', or have I been unlucky? Tackle shops used to be friendly places, plenty of banter, and the occasional cuppa. You spent so much time talking to the staff, that you came out with three times the amount of stuff you went in for.

I'm not one for shopping on the net, so I'll have to just keep looking, surely there must be at least one decent shop within a reasonable distance.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

As some of you will know, it's taken some time for me to get back on the bank, after a few health issues, I was determined that this would be the year. I got my licence, but illness put it on hold again. Then the death of my brother, and part-time angling companion, made me realise that time is not on my side, so he'd given me the kick up the backside I needed. It's taken this long to get myself together, and this week was chosen for two reasons, one, there has been some rain, and two, the kids are back at school. I sorted my gear, and made a list of the terminal tackle I needed. So far, so good, or so I thought. I knew my local tackle shop had closed, but according to the internet, there were a few still on the go. A round trip of some 30 miles, and a full afternoon, showed that four tackle shops that were on the 'net as still trading, had closed. I found one about 4 miles away, and went. I wanted some stick, and avon, type floats, a few hooks to nylon, a few spools of Bayer perlon for the float, and maxima, for the leger. When I asked for the bayer, I go told, "there's a few spools in a box over there", I looked and it was all 2.1bs, and 1.1bs, I picked some of the former for hook lengths. The maxima I wanted in 4 & 6lb, he only had 4lb. The hooks, out of two full racks, I found just two packets of barbed to nylon, in the sizes I wanted, and with the right bs hook length, ( I prefer squashed barbed over barbless). He had just two trotting floats in the pots, one wire stemmed avon, and a lignum vitae stick. Every other float, was a pole float, or a carp bagging type. Just about all the hooks were barbless, because "that's what's allowed on commercials". I've asked around, and found a couple of shops over the other side of town, so I will be calling there on my way tomorrow. The stretch of the Wharfe I'm going on, is day ticket, and one of the shops I'll be calling in, used to sell tickets. I rang the shop 5 times today, just to check, and let it ring until an 'answering machine' told me to call back later, as it couldn't take messages!

Now, I realise that I've been 'out of the loop' for a while, but of the few tackle shops left, is this the norm', or have I been unlucky? Tackle shops used to be friendly places, plenty of banter, and the occasional cuppa. You spent so much time talking to the staff, that you came out with three times the amount of stuff you went in for.

I'm not one for shopping on the net, so I'll have to just keep looking, surely there must be at least one decent shop within a reasonable distance.

John.

Sorry for the health problems but your not helping yourself becoming over complicated ,chill out and just take the minimal you need ,a rod a rest and a bag of bits ,now I have left the club and stopped taking wheelbarrows of gear I get much more pleasure walking 100 yards with a made up rod and pocket of bits and bobs and stalking the tiddlers down the river.

Mind you catching fish has always been far down my list when fishing just leaving the crap behind for a couple of hours

D

As for angling shops they are a dying breed ,if maggots were sold in machines (and they were /are?) They would have gone long ago ,I remember as a kid I had a choice of 6 or 7 shops some others with an angling corner probably all gone now its called progress unfortunately

The last time I bought a rod or reel in a shop was the 80's and I only had the choice of what they sold anything else they ordered in and you can do that and save the price hike!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 2

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hey up bud, I'm Leeds (well Lofthouse these days) Have you tried Tackle2U in Outwood, just up the road from me??.

Great bunch of friendly, knowledgeable fella's working there - they know me very well.

They're competitive & knock a bit off for regulars if spending a few £.

They have an even bigger superstore in Bradford, but can & do send stuff to the Outwood branch for me.

It's dead opposite Tesco Express on Leeds/Wakefield Road. (keep on past end of Jaw Bones)

If on the Bus - get the 110 stand 7 Leeds bus station or anywhere Hunslet Rd, Stourton & onward.

Not unkown to get the kettle on!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

"a cuppa " at the angling shop - yep I remember, six communal chipped mugs, stained mahogany inside.........happy days.

USA just the same, but coffee instead. John Geirach described tackle-store coffee. "Strong enough to take four spoonfuls of powdered creamer without changing colour"

Fortunately I have acquired/made enough gear to last until about 2050, by which time I will be 116 and considering retiring.......

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hi John

Sorry to hear of your personal issues but glad you are getting back on the bank. It does you good, in my experience.

I understand your frustration with the fishing shops, but if your requirements are that specific the I am afraid that buying on-line is likely to be your only choice. It has been my only choice for a number of years now and works well for me.

If it is only terminal tackle then there are lots of suppliers who can provide what you want.

This is a company that I use pretty regularly and goods and service has been excellent.

https://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/coarse-match/floats/running-line-river-floats

All the best

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

gozzer,

Rarely does Chesters1 make any sense. Take advantage of this rare chance to get good advice from him. I know it's good advice because I totally agree.

First, I recommend the 'Go Outdoors' store in Leeds, about 60% carp. Don't be afraid you can still be taught. Ohh wait !! rats - that was 2016 (haha). Keep up the good fight - I like you.

The trick to fishing less than 100% is to just fish at whatever percent you are able to enjoy.

My health restrictions have now complicated much of what used to be a complicated sport. KISS

Phone

Sorry for the health problems but your not helping yourself becoming over complicated ,chill out and just take the minimal you need ,a rod a rest and a bag of bits ,now I have left the club and stopped taking wheelbarrows of gear I get much more pleasure walking 100 yards with a made up rod and pocket of bits and bobs and stalking the tiddlers down the river.

Mind you catching fish has always been far down my list when fishing just leaving the crap behind for a couple of hours

D

I don't over complicate things chester, other people complicate things for me. Things like the 'banker' tackle shop that I knew sold tickets for the stretch I wanted to fish, it shut down three days before I went there on Wednesday! I'd only passed it the week before, and saw he was open, inconsiderate of him if you ask me, he could have waited another week.

I too could stroll 100 yards with minimal gear to fish the river, if there was one. All I've got are two ponds both polluted with carp, and about two miles away. To get to a decent river that I know, (or thought I knew), involves a 20 mile drive, so hardly worth the trip for a couple of hours to blow the cobwebs away.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Outwood is in the wrong direction for most of the fishing I intend to do Martin, but I will look in if I'm over that way, Thanks.

Thanks Dave, that link does seem to have most of the stuff that I use, I might have to capitulate and join the masses by online shopping.

Phone, It's funny that you should mention Go Outdoors, I was so desperate, and peed off, that I nearly called in on Wednesday as It is just down the road from the other shop that had closed down.

Seeing as it's been some time since I wrote of a fishing trip, I thought I'd 'entertain' you with an account of not one, but two!

Wednesday saw me set of on my first proper foray into angling for about 4/5 years. I dropped the wife off at work early, and set of for the tackle shop to get my bait and day ticket. After a drive across Leeds in the rush hour traffic, I arrived at the shop about 30 mins later. The shutters were down, so I thought they might not open until 9, so I poured myself a coffee, sat in the car, and waited. Ten passed nine, and still no movement, so I walked over to look at the shop. Just then a man came walking past, and asked if I was waiting for it to open, if so, I'll have a bloody long wait. He went on to say that the shop was trading on the Saturday, but that was it, no warning it just shut down! No notices explaining anything, just shut! A quick about turn to another shop back down the road, to pick up bait. This place is like a supermarket, massive, with stock laid out all over the place, and very busy. I got the stuff I needed, and a few other bits I'd thought I might need, and was back on my way. I arrived at Wetherby at 10-15, parked up, and went to each of the places that had sold tickets in the past, no luck. I then drove up to the Leisure Centre by the river, and asked there. The two ladies were very helpful, and suggested I tried the Sports centre down the road. This I did, and they did sell tickets, but they were closed! I asked a few people, but nobody knew. I had a stroll down to the river to see if anyone was fishing and might be able to help, it was deserted. On my way back, I notice a small sign on a fence, half hidden by bushes. It said that apart from the Sports centre, the Post Office in Collingham sold them. So, back in the car, a couple of miles back down the road,15 minutes to find the Post Office and I was proud possessor of a day ticket. Twenty minutes later I was back on the bank, and starting to tackle up. I was fishing for 12-o-clock, after leaving home at 8.

To be continued, just had a call, have to go out.

John.

Oh come on John, you can't leave it there....

No I won't do that Dave. It was a call from my daughter, she's in the process of buying her first house, and should have moved in on Friday the 7th. She had an email at 17-10 on the 6th, saying that it was no longer going to happen, and she could move in on the 28th. We've been trying to sort something out. It seems that she has inherited my 'crap luck gene', and is not taking it well.

Anyway, back to the angling saga.

I was tackled up for 12, and chose a swim that I'd fished dozens of times over the years, but not recently. There used to be a shelf about a rod length out, where it dropped from about 5ft, to 10ft. It now was a gradual slope from the bank to about 6ft, then up to 4ft, and down again to about 7ft. I'd tackled up with a stick float and centrepin, this proved to be a mistake. If I stayed this side of the sandbank, it was minnow hell, but the surrounded trees called for a overhead cast to try and get passed it. It had taken me so long to tackle up, and I was still pretty wound up after the morning I'd had, that I thought I'd persevere. I felt so bad that despite packing in smoking 4yrs ago, I could have just murdered one! I was just going through the motions, hoping to feed the minnows off, but no chance. I decided to have a little walk along the bank, and met an angler who just happened to be a member of the local club. He'd had a good haul of dace, and said that he wouldn't go bigger than a size 20 hook, preferring a 22. I returned to my swim, and changed from the 18, to a twenty, and caught a dace first cast! I thought I'd cracked it, but the next 6 fish were minnows, then a series of missed bites, followed by losing a bigger fish, probably a large dace or smallish chub. I tried moving the tell tale shot, changing hooks to 16, to 22, and back to a 20, adjusting depth, shot patterns, single and double maggot, and even hooking the maggot differently. I just couldn't get a rhythm going, in desperation I mixed some groundbait, usually a no,no, here. It produce results almost immediately, a couple of dace, then a tommy ruffe, a few missed bites and only the odd minnow. I finished up with a dozen dace, up to about 5/6oz, a few tommies, and about a hundred minnows. Still it could have been worse, they could have been carp B) . Not a lot, but better than expected considering my rustiness, and the start to the day. Packing up seemed to take ages, and when I was putting my keepnet away, I had brought a bin liner to put it in before putting it in the car. I was really struggling to open it, I tried both ends, wetting my fingers ,etc, before I realised it was sealed at both ends, so the day was still having a laugh at my expense.

When I got home, I told my wife I was going again the next day, I had plenty of maggots left, and I wanted to get the 'monkey' off my back.

I usually write long posts a bit at a time and save to word to post later, for some reason I can't do that, so I'm posting them in short sections. I'll be back with the next bit as soon as I find the time.

John.